1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fag hags, love them or hate them?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RoundPeg, Nov 24, 2014.

1. RoundPeg

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Ok, I'm a heteroromantic bi girl who prefers the company of gay men. I'm having trouble fitting in within the gay community though because gay guys don't seem that overly stoked about hanging out with straight acting bi girls. Should I just accept that Im a round peg trying to fit in to a square hole? I think I come across like a stage 5 clinger the minute a gay guy talks to me lol I know I need to play it cool but I get way too excited. I've been driving myself crazy trying to syco-analys why I want to be a fag hag anyway?! I don't know why!! I just love being around gay guys. What is the general vibe towards girls like me? Thanks.

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm, there are plenty of gay men on the site who admit to preferring the company of women (usually straight, usually feminine), but it also depends on the type of guy and where you're looking. :wink:

All I will say is that there isn't anyone you should feel the need to be accepted by, and most who are worth your time will like you how you are. Perhaps you feel safer among fellow LGBT folk, or better understood. I know a few bisexual and lesbian women who have crushed on gay men, too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. RoundPeg

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    This will sound silly but as a young teen I fell in love with the movie Pricilla Queen of The Desert and from that moment on, it sparked an appreciation in me for gay guys and drag queens! I just... Love all things gay :slight_smile: I know I shouldn't really idolise anyone based on their sexual preferences but... I can't help but want to be part of the scene! I'm a little worried about crushing on a gay guy- that would really be frustrating and would only lead to disappointment but given I have a boyfriend, I don't see myself crushing on anyone accept him. I will also add, my boyfriend is becoming increasing concerned at my 'sudden' interest in the gay scene. It's not actually sudden but it took me a long time to talk to him about these feelings. In fact, he doesn't even know I'm bi. I don't think I'll ever tell him. Some times I just want to blurt it out!!! But I can't see that any good would come from him knowing.

4. I am Kakashi

Nothing wrong with wanting to be accepted! Although as a former bi girl, I have been in your position before. Since I also only dated guys, I got that vibe that most gay guys thought I "wasn't gay enough" and it's kinda trendy for straight-seeming girls to have gay guy best friends. After Queer Eye came on TV, it did kinda get annoying there for a bit : / But if a gay guy isn't going to accept you, and be prejudice because of your orientation or gender, they are just as bigoted as any other of those homophobic jerk-offs out there. Just try and find friendly people, I promise there are super nice gay people ouh there who aren't like that.

As for not telling your bf, why? You seem to want to, are you worried he will judge you, or leave you, or not understand?

5. RoundPeg

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Some days I want to tell him just because it's who I am and it's me and I want him to know, love and accept all of me. But for the most part, I know he would not in the faintest bit understand. I feel like way too much time would be spent trying to make him understand and it doesn't seem worth the drama considering in my mind I'm committed to him and I've come to terms with the fact that my attraction towards girls will never be acted on now for as long as I'm with him so... It seems like it's not worth the drama.

6. Melanie

Melanie Guest

I guess things have changed a lot but I used to hang out with my male gay friends often enough (usually at bars) and it was never an issue. I mean, as long as youre hanging out with them because you like *them* and not just because they are a novelty/entertainment gay, I dont see what the problem would be.

Most of the gay guys I know are either straight looking/acting or just slightly camp or feminine (sorry... for someone that has hung out with gay guys off and on for decades I have no clue on the lingo!) but theyre just like anyone: if you have things in common and genuinely like them and they like you, you'll be fine.

7. I am Kakashi

Dang, yeah. That's basically a 50/50 split as for reasons either way. I hate that -_-

8. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well there seems to be an air of freedom around some gatherings of gay people...
    and gay men often understand the feelings of women, without much drama...
    and there is often something relaxed, on a friendship basis...

9. Pleione

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Some women are weird though, this one female friend dragged me with her into a public girl's bathroom and was like "who cares you're gay anyway!" because she wanted to keep talking while taking a pee :icon_eek:

It was really awkward because there were like 5 other girls and I was just standing there feeling like a creep or pervert :lol:

10. RoundPeg

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Pleione that's so funny! :slight_smile:

11. Tardis2020

I have no problem with being friends with women, but I don't like the term "fag hag." Why can't it just be "friend"?

12. Notlad

I don't mind hanging around females, but I personally don't want to hang around anyone who treats me completely different because of my sexuality, whether they treat me better or worse.

A close friend I came out to kept trying to cuddle and said "gay people are so cute" and I got mad. I don't want it to be a quality I'm judged on.

13. hollychristina

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love the first part of your answer such a sweet response and drag queens are amazing i adore each and every one of them.I have always felt more comfortable around girls and many of my female friends have said that they feel safe and relaxed around me. even before i came out i felt more and more in tune with the emotions and feelings of a girl and if they are having a personal issue they can talk to me without fear of being judged.

#13 hollychristina, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  14. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol I love talking to girls who are cool with gay guys as long as rhey arent all fakey fake

15. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed! As with all friendships, sometimes a supposed friend can take advantage and make you feel used - for popularity, or even just as token non-threatening male/female company. By the same principle, you can also find kindred spirits with any gender or sexual orientation. The gay male/straight female dynamic doesn't change the usual rules of friendship for me.

16. dregj

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ive been coerced into having conversations with women while they bath
    ,in the cubicles
    and whilst they get changed (completely)
    not 100 % comfortable .
    Women coming up to me in pubs to be my new bff who dont know me from adam??
    i do love women
    but godam

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess it would depend on the person. I don't want someone to be friends with me just because I'm gay but if they're just regularly cool wth gay people I guess I would be okay with that. But I am very selective on friends and only want to hang around people who are real.

18. faustian1

I sure would like to know the origins of that delightful phrase, "stage 5 clinger." It's hip.

At my age, I'm surprised to see that the term "fag hag" is still going strong. Nothing wrong with it. The benefits can cut both ways. Guys get to hang around people who are more "emotionally available" than a lot of guys, and the women get, well tell me what the women get... :icon_bigg

I can see where a lot of guys might like to have more guy friends, though, and it could crowd you out.

Is it possible there is something Freudian in all of this?

19. dregj

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    no idea what the women get out of it
    im shite at shopping ,fashion and drama
    b

20. faustian1

1.5 million $ is on the way. You should see it within a fortnight.