1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psychiatrist and Meds

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by WhisperLoom, Nov 24, 2014.

1. WhisperLoom

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    First time going to a psychiatrist vice a therapist coming up. What to expect? I was referred specifically to see if I should be on meds for deep depression and/or anxiety. I don't have any experience with meds and am fairly hesitant/disbelieving...

Any experiences with a psychiatrist? Anyone taking meds?

2. DinelodiiGitli

I'm supposed to see one in december since my doctor and cardiologist are at a loss (I'm going for anxiety, derealization, anorexia, etc.). :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I'm taking an off brand version of Zoloft (25mg) for anxiety and panic attacks. It does help a little (when someone says hi I actually say hi back now) but it is terrible for mood swings (bipolar disorder, etc.). For the first week I felt almost manic (uber happy, talkative, etc.) but it has sort of tapered off. It also seemed to cause auditory delusions a couple times (nothing bad, just binarual sounds). Honestly though it'll vary depending on what they prescribe.

3. QueHaPasado

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Oh boy, medication. I used to be a medication skeptic as well. Then I spent an entire day panicking, and I realized that I needed meds. Now I don't mind the drugs, as long as they keep me from having this constant, pervasive anxiety I can't control.

At the first visit, your psychiatrist will ask you some questions. Don't play down your symptoms, ever. In fact, play them up. It's not dishonest, it helps the psychiatrist to get a clear picture of what is going on with you. For example, if you've noticed you have trouble sleeping, don't say "A few nights I wasn't able to sleep for a little while," even if that sounds more accurate to you. Say "I am often unable to sleep." That is NOT exaggerating or lying, it gets the message across.

You might get a diagnosis right away, you might not. When you get a diagnosis, you will likely also get the doctor's opinion of whether you should take medication or not. You shall probably start on a low dose of the medication. Expect to return to the psychiatrist a few more times so (s)he can adjust your prescription.

Aaaaand, that's all I got for right now. Any other questions?

4. Alt

Alt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wish I could remember some of the questions I was asked, but I'm drawing blanks.

It'll basically be you sitting in a chair while the psychiatrist sits by a computer, maybe looks at your maybe just types. You might be diagnosed with something that's incorrect, they tend to veer on the side of caution. For example, have hallucinations and you're schizo. They won't be as empathetic as a psychologist, remember that they are trying to find what you need in one session and if you need medication. So it might be a bit more rushed.

When you take the medication, make sure pay attention for any side-effects. I slept through my last period class for 3 months straight due to my medication causing sleepiness. After the first month or so, I didn't notice how different I was from before.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Psychiatrists are in the business of prescribing drugs so getting out of most psychiatrists' offices without a prescription is rare.

DO NOT play up your symptoms. Communicate accurately. In the example above instead of 'often' or 'sometimes' say '10 days out of the last month, or whatever it actually is.

Many if not most psychiatrists overprescribe. There are certainly people that need medication but many do not. Be proactive, discuss with your therapist, and ask for options other than medication. If you are really unable to function, then medication is a good option, but it does make sense to really make an informed decision a d explore your options before making a decision.

6. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I take paxil and it helps me very much for anxiety and depression :slight_smile: