1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Group

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by LoneWolfRunner, Nov 24, 2014.

1. LoneWolfRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok everyone,

so I have decided to visit this gay group for teens in my city. The thing is I don'T know who is going or how many people are going and I am really nervous! I bet some of you have been to social groups like this - I'ld love to here a bit about how it was/is. And I was wondering of you could give me some tipps :eusa_danc I also normally have hockey when the group meets and I have to lie to my parents about it. I know this sounds terrible, but how can I make sure I don't screw up the lie.:icon_sad:
    Thanks for all the help beforehand!

2. shinji

shinji Guest

No experience with gay groups, but some knowledge with groups in general.

Just remember that, you are new to others, as much as they are new to you. No one knows you, and you don't know anyone else. You have the added bonus factor of being that cool mysterious person, who everyone will be quite interested in getting to know.

Over thinking the situation is the worst thing that you could be doing, just be casual about it and let things happen, on the spot. Improvise, don't make plans, don't have monologues in your head about what you might say or do.

3. mangotree

I actually just joined a gay swimming club tonight.
    I was quite nervous at the start as well.

I suppose the first time you go, don't feel bad about uncomfortable silences or if you forget people's names. Ask questions. SMILE. When/if you go back again in the future, you'll have plenty of time to get to know them at an easy pace. Just ease yourself in. No need to please or impress anyone. Just be yourself. Don't try to force anything to happen. The people you are most likely to get along with will gravitate toward you naturally.

Not sure how to protect your lie. Normally I would advise against lying, but it is an unfortunate side affect of being in the closet. We've all had to do it at least once to protect ourselves or the people around us..
    Write down every possible question your parents are likely to ask and make sure you have answers for them.
    Make sure someone you know (one of the people you're out to) knows where you're really going and can back up your answers.
    It feels so dirty advising how to lie to the parents.
    Above all, make sure you're safe. It would be better for your parents to find out your secret, than to put yourself in any kind of danger.

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    it would make a huge difference if you could go with someone gay or lesbian to be there with you - do you know anyone??

5. Lindsey23

I think you're really brave for going and checking it out. If it helps I'll bet you're not the only one going who is nervous! A lot of people feel stressed/nervous in these situations. As far as protecting the lie, I'd try to be vague in your answers to their questions. Example: Parents: How was hockey? You: It was good.
    I don't know how pushy or involved your parents are though...

Let us know how it goes. Good luck! I wish I had gone to a group like that when I was your age.

6. Alt

Alt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There were quite a few people there: there was a bully-esque guy, quite a few effiminate guys, some butch lesbians, quite a few inconspicuous people.We sat in a circle and did a few exercises. We later had pizza and broke off into groups.

Don't get discourage by the really confident people, they have likely been attending for quite some time. Even if you're afraid and don't say anything someone will likely start a conversation with you. Though please participate in the game/activity/discussion! Also, make sure to eat something or at least hold a snack, otherwise you'll get pity convo's.

7. LoneWolfRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you guys all sooooo much.. I'll try not to plan to much or get intimidated. I sadly don't know anyone lesbian to take with me, but a friend is bringing me there (she says she would feel uncomfortable and I don't want her to)