1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Clancularius, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

I've been very depressed lately. Although I'm not suicidal, when I'm depressed it sometimes leads to suicidal thoughts. Does anyone have advice on getting through depression?

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's really important to stay connected and keep talking about your feelings. All too often, people struggle with depression because they bottle things up and don't reveal the true extent of their struggle to anyone. With no outlet for it all the pressure builds in intensity and it can exacerbate the despairing thoughts of suicide. Talk to someone who is patient and respectful enough to listen without passing judgement. It's not a quick fix, but talking things through with the right sort of person can alleviate some of the pain and misery that you experience when depressed.

There are some things, which may seem quite obvious, but are still worth mentioning. They include:

Eating the right foods. Often, people experience a loss of appetite and weight when they are depressed and this starves us of essential vitamins. The reverse side of the coin is weight gain from eating comfort foods. You don't have to prepare a banquet for yourself.

Avoiding alcohol. Many people turn to drink when they are low to 'drown sorrows', but it doesn't work and can lead to dependency issues. Alcohol is a depressant.

Try not to isolate yourself indoors. When you are depressed and low on energy the thought of just going out can be a struggle, but you need daylight and fresh air for health. If you only go for a short walk, it's better than nothing.

Get plenty of rest. Sleep at the right times if you can, as disrupted and irregular sleep patterns can drag you down more. Even if you can't sleep, just try to rest and switch off, maybe by listening to relaxing music while you are laid down.

If you are open to the idea of self help there are books that you could read that follow CBT principles. You may also like to consider the herbal remedy, St John's Wort (but speak to your Doctor if you are already taking other medication).

Don't lose hope. It's a real struggle to live with depression, but it can be overcome and you may be a stronger person afterwards. I had depression some years ago and I learned a lot about myself. Most people (4 out of 5) recover from depression without medical attention in under six months and if you know what's causing it, trying to tackle the issue will certainly help. But even if you don't understand the cause/s there are options.

If you haven't already considered it, therapy may help. There are some very effective treatments for mild to moderate depression and they are worth exploring before medication.

Good luck. Keep talking and sharing. :slight_smile:

3. QueHaPasado

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Also, be careful about those suicidal thoughts. I entertained the thoughts for a long time but never dreamed of acting on them...until I did. It seems you know these thoughts are dangerous but just a warning from someone who has been there. Talking about scary stuff you think does help.

4. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

I've actually made 3 suicidal attempts before, but the last one was over a year ago.

5. QueHaPasado

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Okay, so you know what I mean. Please take care of yourself. (*hug*)

6. Alive

Let someone you trust know how you are feeling. If you ever feel that you might seriously hurt/ kill yourself call a suicide prevention center or go to a hospital. If you ever create a suicide plan, let someone know so they can help you be safe. You might also want to create a plan in case of a crisis. Good luck my friend