1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do trans people get so much hate?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Clancularius, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

I recently learned that I'm transsexual. I also learned about the sad life that most trans people live, because of all the hate society gives them. I recently read that 49% of trans people have attempted suicide. Most trans people I've read have difficulty finding and keeping jobs because of hate. 1 in 12 trans people are murdered, all of this just because someone is trans. I'm having difficulty understanding why people hate trans people so much, does anyone understand why people have so much hate for trans people.:bang:

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To me i think its a gender thing and general hate for anything different, like how people have this fixed perception of how a women and man are supposed to be and act and how trans people kinda cross that supposed "fixed gender line"

3. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

I guess, but this much hate just for that?

4. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    plus theres the whole religion thing, and god creating everyone perfectly and having child that wants to change their gender or even thinks they should have been born differently i another reason

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The more I think I about it, the more I'm convinced that envy, and being afraid of the true own feelings must play a part. You can't hate or love something that you don't have inside already.
    I'm thinking on those groups of animals trying to prove their "manhood" by getting together, looking for a victim, and beating him or her to a pulp.

6. Oddish

Oddish Guest

People hate what they can't understand; ignorance. I imagine it's very perplexing for cisgender people to understand someone who was born a certain sex and transitioned to another, and why they would do that, and some can't wrap their heads around it so they figure it's 'acceptable' to discriminate against someone 'mentally ill'. It's disgusting, weak-minded behaviour.

Trans women are also considerably harassed and killed more than trans men, and this has to do with sexism and upholding patriarchal culture--anything relating to the masculine is valued, whereas anything feminine is considered unworthy, bad. Because, unfortunately, trans women are consistently harassed and claimed as "men" who are steering away from masculinity, they're doing something incredibly wrong whereas trans men are going the opposite direction and are less likely harassed for transitioning to a more masculine appearance, although thanks to sexism, trans men are hardly considered "real men".

To be honest, I don't understand the hate, but I don't really understand people. They suck.

7. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    THANK YOU for this comment

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

This is a very good comment.

Besides patriarchal issues; a lot of people are ignorant and don't understand how gender or even biological sex even WORKS. I've seen many people bring up chromosomes and 'God made them that way' and blah blah, but you can't even see someone's chromosomes from the outside, and It's possible for a cis woman to be XY as well for people to be XXY, XYY, and any other combination.

When Biological sex = Gender, It's easy for people to understand. But sometimes it doesn't and the confusion makes people mad and makes them lash out with hate too because it goes against what's 'easy' for them to get.

9. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

Thanks, I've been really depressed since I learned all this. I've been scared that if I try to transition when I get older my life will get destroyed from hate, it's a little bit of my own paranoia. But I'm trying to build the confidence to come out to my sister, because she reacts the best when I talk about transsexualism.

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is what I heard as a child , as a little girl I always thought trans people were no different than cis people ,and they were just born in the wrong body . My dad told me they were sick and later on as a teenager someone said they, cant' stand trans genders because their a threat to God saying that God can make mistakes and the bible said he can't make mistakes .
    I don't see trans people as other they can be binary or non binary .

#10 stocking, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  11. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

I find it offensive when people say being trans is a choice, because if it was no one would be trans. I mean who would chose to be trans when they have a 1/12 chance of being murdered.

12. photoguy93

I think it's just one of those topics that hasn't had it's day yet, you know? I know people are starting to come around to it, it'll just take time. Look at how far the gay community has come; it'll happen for trans folks, too.

On a personal level, I think it happens because people just don't get it. To some extent, a lot of people have thought about experimenting with the same sex or have those tendencies. Not as many people feel like becoming a different gender - does that make sense? Just thinking out loud here...I could be way off!

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm glad that lady on orange is the new black keeps bringing up she's done a lot for trans people .

14. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This sure makes me want to come out more... :bang:

15. colt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As someone who is kinda trans myself (on hormones since April) I think its just harder for people to understand....

In its clearest form, guy x guy or girl x girl is easy to understand for most people. You simply love others like you.
    then I think guy -> girl or girl -> guy isn't as easy. People want to know why you arn't happy the way you are. There is no way to explain it to someone who doesn't want to know...

but honestly, I think the BIGGEST confusion is your pairing after that. If you're like me and guy -> girl x guy, people go wait...so are you a straight girl? even though you are also gay? and if I was guy -> girl x girl people would wonder if that makes me a lesbian? a straight guy? I think peoples biggest hangup is trying to find a label for it.

However, even more strongly I feel like there is a lot of misunderstanding.... people feel betrayed to learn that you're leaving their gender, or confused that you're joining there. I think its misinformation, and not enough empathy

16. I am Kakashi

Since I feel like it's been explained in a pretty good way, here is my overly simple / efficient way of explaning it. **People = society as a whole/ people who are homophobic and/or transphobic**

People get angry when they do not understand something [in this casegender and sexuality]. When people get angry, they hate what they don't understand. But people are lazy. So instead of trying to understand, they would rather "poo poo" it as a stage, or being born of the devil, etc, furthering their own ignorant support and hate.

Or even shorter: People are ignorant and lazy assholes. The end. :grin:

17. Rosalynn

When I was younger I remember reading a book with a trans woman who explained how a god had played a trick on her mother when she was in the womb and was cursed forever to walk the land in the body of a man.

Thus I have always accepted trans people from that moment foward.

18. Rosalynn

When I was younger I remember reading a book with a trans woman who explained how a god had played a trick on her mother when she was in the womb and was cursed forever to walk the land in the body of a man.

Thus I have always accepted trans people from that moment foward.

19. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Some people tend to think that transpeople are selfish and just want attention. Being trans doesn't make any sense to them. They don't get why it matters and they don't want to think further because they don't want to realize they might have been wrong about something for a long time. They want to think they know more than they do. They like to think that others are not as "deep" and "wise" as they are.

20. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not envy, its alienation of the worst form. Most people just aren't comfortable with it. I often am unsure myself in that kind of situation what to think...