1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I go or not?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by IwillBeStrong, Nov 27, 2014.

1. IwillBeStrong

Hi guys,
    So tomorrow the lgbt society of my uni is organizing a trip to some gay bars in another town nearby. I was so looking forward to it as this would be a great opportunity for me to meet lgbt people and kinda start slowly coming out of the closet. So I was planning to go there with a friend of mine who is gay as well but she all of a sudden just ditched me today and gave me a very lame excuse why she can't come. As none of my other friends know that I'm gay there is nobody I could ask to come along with me. I was so looking forward to this trip and don't know what to do now. :frowning2: Considering that I'm socially anxious its hard to imagine me going to the trip all by my own, especially because most of them people know each other pretty well and I'm the only fresher and closeted girl there.

What can I do guys? :frowning2: I need to decide already as the trip is tomorrow. And even if I should somehow go on my own, I'm scared I wont make any friends and be all by my own. Which is not only sad but also a bit dangerous as I may get lost or something and no one will even notice me :O

Am I overthinking or could you just give me any advice?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I get your problem pretty good. Though one
    Well, the best way to get to know people is to go alone. I made that experience although it is incredibly scary but often worth it.
    The fact that you might get lost is an important one. To prevent this you could take a map with you or gps. Sth like that.
    Getting to know new people is pretty difficult but you could see it as a task or practice for yourself. Even when it is scary.
    Hope it helped idk:slight_smile:

3. IwillBeStrong

It is, but I'm kinda scared to death as I imagine what if I don't speak to anybody and stand there all alone as a loner. That would be really bad! How was your experience? Did you meet new people?
    Yeah, the thing is we are going by a coach and if I'm by my own I'll have no idea how to get back to the coach and miss it, which would be really really bad! (its a whole another city I've never been to)
    Yes, I'm trying to see it as a task for overcoming my fears. Its still daunting tough.

4. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Well I've been in England on my own so I was forced to make that experience.
    In the beginning I was pretty shy and quiet but with some time I just thought 'Fuck it. What do I have to lose?' and talked to people. Although mostly others did approach me lol
    Just sth like, hey I'm from wherever and my name is. What is your name?
    Remember, they're all just humans.
    And even when you miss that bus. There have to be other possibilities to get back.
    But that's worst case. I mean, when you're always careful about where you are and what time it is then you should be able to catch it:wink:
    Aaand you could try to find some people that are a bit alone too and go with them or sth.
    I know, it's incredibly scary:wink:

5. IwillBeStrong

Wow that's very brave of you!! I'll just come to our chat and ask you more on that!
    Yeah you are absolutely right ... maybe I should come along and see what's gonna happen. Thanks a lot dear! :slight_smile:

6. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Ofc. Always:slight_smile:
    Well, it's a chance, isn't it? One should take every chance that's offered.
    Easier said than done huh?:grin:
    (*hug*)

7. Alt

Alt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Have you ever just talked to someone randomly at the market or bus? I started doing it, just responding to things I hear and I found my anxiety went down a bit. Not really suitable in this occasion but something to think about. It does help that here in the U.S. such a thing is pretty common, barging into conversations.

Charge your phone and make note of your address so you can use google maps. Or don't and ask a cute girl nearby :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. As CharlsOn already covered the 'throw caution to the wind' approach, you should know some people from your school, so you won't really be alone.