1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reaching out without reaching out

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Really, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Really

The other day I heard from a mutual friend that a young man I slightly know is having what sounds like hard time which includes figuring out that he's bisexual. Of course, I immediately thought that he should check out this site but I don't know how to get the information to him.
    • I don't know him separately from our mutual friend/associate.
    • I only see see him 2 or 3 times a year. There's a slight chance I might see him in 2 weeks.
    • I'm not prepared to come out to him in order to give him the website info.
    • Nor do I really want anyone I know even slightly associating my posts with me. (Yes. Paranoid, I know).

I was thinking about writing out a note and slipping it in his pocket/bag anonymously but I suspect he'll know exactly at what event he got it so will then know who's been telling his story and I don't want to upset him with that info. (She only told me to illustrate how her relationship with him seems to include a counselling component. She's not a counsellor and doesn't know about me.)

Can anyone see how this could work. I supposed I could make what looks like a small flyer and slip that to him? I don't know. Or just hope he's savvy enough to find it on his own. Agh.

#1 Really, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    rent a skywriting advertisement and have it flown above his head? :slight_smile:

Sounds like quite a dilema. Why do you feel such a need to direct him to the site?

3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a tricky one! Unfortunately, from what you've said, I don't think there's a subtle way of telling him about the website without inviting further questions.

I would suggest, rather than letting him find an anonymous note in his bag (which I'd find a little creepy) you could try emailing him from a different email address saying "I know you're going through some hard times, and thought I'd suggest taking a look at this website, which might help." (which is still a bit creepy but not as much :icon_wink).

4. Really

Because it's helpful? And he sounded a bit lost?
    Sorry if my empathy perturbes you.

5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    USxUK seems like a good guy. I'm sure he just wanted to know what sort of issues your friend is struggling with. Perhaps in order to suggest a specific approach.

Don't worry, I think everyone here is sympathetic to your friend. :slight_smile: After all, we've all been through similar times ourselves.

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, not at all, I was trying to make light out of the situation, no intention to offend. Sorry if I did.