1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suicide - I want to help, please help me to

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CharlsOn, Dec 1, 2014.

1. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I want to help someone that's suicidal. It's an online friend whom I love really really much.
    I would do everything I can to stop they and make they feel better.
    I know, it's probably not my job but I have to. I can't just watch and wait or sth.
    That person is in therapy but apparently it doesn't help much. And they knows that I wanna help and will try.
    I'm kinda clueless and extremely helpless bc how can I help someone that doesn't care? I just freaking want to.
    So I'm asking, how can I help this person?

Every advice is appreciated:slight_smile:

2. Vampire

You can't force help onto someone. If that person does not want to be helped, it's a very difficult thing to do, even for a Psychologist that is there in person. I apologize if I'm insulting you by saying this, but you can't do much over the internet, I'm afraid.

That being said, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you'll keep us updated!

Best regards, Andrew

3. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    call national hotline suicide nd give his number to them

4. Alisa Arwen

I've been here.

It's tough, but the only advice I can offer is to try to take a step back, and don't feel responsible. It's not easy. I didn't follow that advice and it became a nightmare for me.

Fortunately the person in question got through, but thanks to professional help, not mine.

5. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

That is what I feared...

I should take a step back yes
    But how....
    How can I let someone hanging that is counting on me?
    Yay self-torture.
    Thx guys anyways:slight_smile:

6. Alisa Arwen

Keep strong, for yourself if nothing else :slight_smile:

7. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Lol that's the problem...
    I can't keep strong for myself. Only for others.
    Doesn't this suck.
    Yes, I should. You're right(*hug*)

8. iiimee

Does this guy want your help? Just remind him you're there for him, and even though you're online friends he's still not alone. I've met a few suicidal people before... Had to call the police when one of them cut themselves. My advice is always make sure he knows you're there for him, but as the previous comments said, you kinda just have to take a step back and hope.

9. shinji

shinji Guest

Whatever you do, don't make it seem apparent that you want to help them. Saying crap like "oh it gets better, you have so much to live for" will not help you achieve anything. This is a person who has already weighed all these emotions/ideas, already decided that it's simply not enough for them to keep going. Reminding them of this, will only push them further to the edge.

Instead, try to substitute their emotions, with others... They feel depressed? Push that out of the way with anger, happiness, love... Strong emotions that can "snap" their mind, away from the problem. And after you've done this... then, you start working on making sure that they don't do anything stupid.

When conversing with them, just ignore the problem, don't keep reminding them, making them worry about you worrying about them. It's not a good combination.

Being clingy and caring and understanding, won't amount to anything. That is, if the person is truly suicidal, if they are not, and are simply seeking attention, then feel free to ignore my above comments.

10. Etak

The only advice I can give is to try to get enough information about them that you could call 911 on them if necessary. I just had to call 911 on a suicidal friend last week, it was hard for the police to find him, because I didn't have much information.