1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't even know where to start (fitness)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Celatus, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm a lazy skinny guy who was never motivated or confident enough to go to the gym or get in shape. But I feel like it would be great to at least try...only problem is that I have no idea where to start. I'm a complete and pitiful novice at fitness in general. Nerdy kids who sucked at sports will understand this xD. Any advice on where the heck to start working out? I mean I really sincerely want to get in shape and look better but I just find the whole endeavor confusing and hard. For people that have played sports or trained since childhood this isn't really a problem...but for scrawny meh guys like me...it seems so complicated. I find it difficult to consistently commit to exercise because I'm not even sure if I will get decent results, let alone plan out how to progress. Does anybody know of a legitimate way to gain some muscle mass and get in shape without spending a large amount of time and money? I have no clue where to start...

2. mangotree

I guess most people who want to gain muscle start by joining (or buying) a gym.
    When you join, one of the staff members will normally take you through the weights machines to show you how to use them safely.
    After that, you could either get a Personal Trainer or start your own exercise regime.

If you choose the latter ... take it slowly ...
    Find 2 or 3 machines that don't cause you any discomfort. This will ensure that you don't start hating the gym after a while.
    Spened about half an hour using those machines.
    When you're finished - if your gym has one - go for a swim or sit in the sauna, steam room or jacuzzi.
    Just do that 3 or 4 times a week until it becomes a habit.

After about 2 or 3 weeks, most people want to branch out to other machines and exercises and put the weights/intensity up on their favourite machines.

The more exercise you get, the more you'll want to eat. So, in my opinion - don't worry about your diet too much at the start. (which is the oposite of what most trainers will tell you)

That's how I got into it anyway.

3. Jwis

As someone who has lost a great deal of weight and gotten into shape for competing in triathlons here is my advice;

1 - First and foremost, take it slow. You don't want to injure yourself.

2- Nutrition is extremely important, what you do in the kitchen is just as important as to what you do in the gym.

3 - While you said you don't want to spend a lot of money it is worth it to take a few classes with a personal trainer. They can show you how to use free weights, and a bunch of exercises to do with them. You can then switch through them. I find free weights to be much less boring the using machines.

4 - Stick with it. It takes time and mental fortitude. There will be times you don't want to go to the gym, or you have to get up at 4:30 A.M. to make it. You have to make it a priority in your life. If it's something you really want you'll make the sacrifices for it.

5 - Enjoy it. I love working out, it is MY time.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, I have to be doing something rather than just using gym equipment. So, that's partially why I got into martial arts. There's an overall goal, with the physical fitness coming as a perk. You could try something as simple as riding a bike or running.