1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Presentation- Trans and non- binary please answer.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Najlen, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Najlen

One of the student council members asked the GSA president to do something because a trans- guy has been being pretty seriously bullied. She and I talked to the student council member and decided that we would do 5 hour- long assemblies- one for the teachers and one for each class. We were thinking we would play cross- the- line to gauge how people would react, then split people into groups for another game. We would give each person a card to wear in a place they couldn't see it, with 1 being the king and 10 being the lowest of the low, and have them treat each other accordingly to simulate bullying. Then, we would do a presentation focused mainly on gender identity but also talking about other types of discrimination and explain why it needs to stop. One of the problems is that our school is a bad place to come out and since it is, not very many people do, so the students are not exposed to LGBTQ folk and believe we don't have any who go there. Because of this, they are not at all considerate and are undereducated so they treat those brave few terribly, making it a bad place to come out in... It is a vicious cycle. To dispel the myth that there are no LGBTQ students there, we were thinking a few of us might come out at the assemblies. (the 3 members of the GSA, the student council member, maybe a few others) Is this a good idea? can you give me advice on what the presentation should include, and what we should avoid? Any input is welcome- it is our first time doing something like this. Thanks in advance!

2. Covalent

Covalent Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think your assembly sounds great! Coming out at it is also very gutsy, but it will really drive home your message. I'd just make sure to include terminology and definitions, LGBTQ+ lingo gets a little convoluted at times for someone who is just learning the talk. Make sure to inform everybody about what stereotypes are myths, a lot of their information on us will come from poorly written sitcoms, and they need to be educated on what it actually means to be gay or nonbinary or trans*.
    I wish you best of luck in your endeavours!

3. lostboy94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with Covalent it would be VERY risky to come out at the assembly. From what you are saying you are bound to be bullied. An alternative to the cross the line game would be to pass out surveys asking people them if they ever felt something or experienced something. Then show the statistics at the assembly. Some examples are Have you ever been bullied? How many lgbt people do you know? Etc. The reason the alternative may be better is that people may be too afraid to honestly cross the line. You could also hand out papers that have someone else’s (anonymous) survey results and read questions and the students could stand up if there paper has that answer on it.
    Example
    Bob receives a survey paper that says I like the color pink, I do not know a lgbt person
    So they would stand up for the I like pink statement but not the one that says I know an lgbt person. It would be easier because it is anonymous but still have to power of showing how many people agree/disagree with statements.
    I hope this makes sense. If not feel free to ask questions.