1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay attitude in the Navy?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Raceme, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Raceme

So my only hope of a future is to join the military, and I'm chosing the Navy because they in particular seem to have an interest in me. I'm worried since I've heard some rather scary things regarding females in the military in general, let alone gay ones. Do you guys think it would be better for me to pretend to be straight, or do you think I'd be okay if I was just who I am?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't know about women, but I have a number of gay male friends in the Navy who get along just fine. There seem to be a lot of gay men there, and I think they were the most accepting branch before people could serve openly so you're probably in good hands.

3. Raceme

That's reassuring! I hope it's the same around here, but that at least takes a bit of the worry off my shoulders.

4. js92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm currently serving in the Navy. My first couple of years in, I met countless women who were lesbians in the Navy. The military as a whole is moving towards being more accepting to gay and lesbian people. However, there are also a lot of people in the military who are a lot more immature than most adults. This is mostly because the ones right out of boot camp also just recently graduated from high school. The military has ignorant people and accepting people, the same things you would find in any other community/organization.

5. breathingfree62

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say be who you are!
    Hiding it can have affects on your health.
    It was almost crippling me trying to hide it!
    If you own it and stay positive!
    Good things come with a positive attitude! :slight_smile: