1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girl died at my school

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Andrew99, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So in 1st hour today my teacher said a girl that went to our school had passed away. She was a special needs kid and she had I believe passed from lung failure. I just thought that was really sad especially bc Christmas is in like 2 weeks. and I was wondering if you've ever had someone die at your school and what was it like? Any posts are appreciated.

2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't recall anyone actually dying while I was at the same school, but while I was in college a guy from my high school killed himself by jumping off the top of a parking garage. I didn't know him very well, but I'm fortunate to have had very few experiences with death so it still hit me fairly hard.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya I actually didn't know her I mean I thought it was sad I didn't cry nobody did but we all agreed that it was very sad.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, when I was in fifth grade, a girl in the third grade died in a car accident. It was kind of a big deal- since it had been the first death in recent memory that had affected the school. Fliers were going around with the memorial date and counseling reminders, and so on. I remember seeing the dead girl's class in the cafeteria and what really struck me was how quiet they all were.

It did affect me a little, actually. Up until then, I had only had a little experience with death (a couple family pets and distant relatives). And I guess when you're little, you never really think another kid can die too (because up until then, death was always something that happened when you were elderly).

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I sadly had a few people die when I was in school. Most of them from drug related issues. It's sad, because you realize that that could've been you that died. We also had 3 people die in a really bad car accident because of underage drinking.

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No in my class every died but I knew two gay guys in my hometown one of them attended my high school had both killed themselves. I was a good friend of the one that when to my school and I think about him to this day. It sucks when people die young. I know you probably did not mean it that way but refering her as the special needs kid is not so appropiate as she just died most kids who are disabled reject that label. Just saying.

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya that's what I had originally thought that she had Over dosed bc he said she was in the hospital so I though it was suicide but it turns out her lungs quit. It was so sad.

8. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

A girl died when my sister was in highschool but I don't recall anyone dying in school while I was there. I have lost my cousin in a car accident though and she was only 15.. exactly 2 months off 16. It was the drivers fault and she was one of the back passengers and when the car hit the pole she just so happened to be on the side it hit. He never said sorry until he was faced with prison the son of a bitch.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't mean to be offensive over her or to any special needs person. I'm not like that.

#9 Andrew99, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  10. Big B

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Back in High School (or at least an equivalent of it here) i had two of my classmates die in one month. One was a colleague, quite friendly, who after a long struggle depression committed suicide. The other was a girl who died in a car crash. I argued with her a lot, and she made my life a bit miserable, to the point of me wishing her death like a dumb teenager i was... and then i heard about what happened. To this day i can't forgive myself that i wished she would be gone.

God bless their souls.

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know you didn't. I just would not refer to someone as special needs kid as a person with a disability myself. I am glad you accept those with special needs. I got bullied with labels like that so its personal to me so I am sorry I took it personally.

12. rainbowdesi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Two students that I went to school with died by drowning in the swimming pool. They had been drinking the entire day and decided to go for a swim.. and never came back. It was a big blow to us all. These guys were international students who came here for a good education and bright future ( they were good students). The insurance company refused pay for the repatriation of the bodies. So, the student community and the town pitched in to send the coffins home. I still cannot get it out of my mind.

13. David21201

Quite a couple actually....
    I have had 2 suicides (they were in highschool, friends of mine) they were both friends and the second killed himself after hearing his best friend killed himself. When I was in 5th my lab partner passed on her way to the hospital, she had breathing complications and she had cardiac arrest... I still think of them....

14. gamergirl689

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Last year on valentine's day some kid who I didn't know to well was in a hit and run accident and died. Some people were crying, my English teacher gave students advice on how to deal with it. A classmate in my health class saw the whole incident happened in front of his house and he hasn't been the same since.

15. SquidwardT

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not actually in high school, but earlier in the year a college freshman who was an alumni was killed in a school shooting at her college.

16. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was in high school a kid I was on the basketball team with died. He was riding on the back of his friends ATV. His friend ran a stop sign at 50mph and was struck in the side by a car doing 90mph in a 55. He died the next day while the friend driving returned the next school year and eventually made a full recovery.

He was a popular guy and really didn't have any enemies and I assume it was the same at the school he transferred from because it was the longest funeral procession I have ever seen. I think 90% of the students from both schools showed up.

Sending grief counselors to schools in wasn't really a thing in the 90s. I remember everyone walking around in a complete state of shock for a week or two then it slowly starting getting better.

17. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew a guy in my primary school that got shot. He survived. He was a troublemaker, hardly studied, but he didn't bully people and he didn't deserve that. A weird guy was aiming at pigeons and 'apparently' missed. All I remember is a LOUD bang and everyone being called back early from breaktime. I didn't really realise the seriousness of that situation, until later. And I'd rather just forget that high school happened!

18. Box

Box

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When I was 12 a girl that was a couple years older took an overdose and died.
    About 4 years later another girl hung herself during a music festival that my friends and I attended to one summer. Didn't find out that it was her until we got back to school a few weeks later..

19. Meander

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to one high school for two years, but I went to a different one (in the same city) for my last two years. During my senior year, there were many that went to my old school that died.

* One was from a drunk driving accident (he was drinking). He was going 100 MPH when he struck a wooden pole sustaining a power line so hard that the impact could be heard for miles. It was as if an atomic bomb had hit my town.

* Another had a brain aneurysm while going down a flight of stairs, whacking her head at the bottom. She died in a coma three days later. This girl was loved by many and was mourned for the entire school year. The school designed an official shirt that kept her spirit alive using her favorite comic book: The Avengers. The shirt was "Vanessa's Avengers." Proceeds went to Vanessa's family. Not to the school.

Additionally, two people I knew very well had near-death experiences during my junior year.

* One almost committed suicide with a gun, but someone talked him out of it just before he pulled the trigger. He is still alive today.

* Another suffered from acute liver failure (stemming from a undiagnosed defect in her liver) where she needed a transplant. Thankfully, she received one.

20. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Somebody died recently at my uni. I didn't know him, sad nonetheless though.