1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Overload?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CallMeChristian, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Do you guys think this is too heavy of a class load?

Fall 2015- 18 credit hours
    Spring 2016- 18 credit hours
    Summer 2016- 9 credit hours
    Fall 2016- 18 credit hours
    Spring 2017- 18 credit hours
    Summer 2017- 8 credit hours
    Fall 2017- 18 credit hours
    Spring 2018- 18 credit hours

2. Hiems

It's difficult to assess overall difficulty because it depends on so many factors. They include the difficulty of each class, what your schedule is like, whether you have enough time to study, whether you're working, etc.

What I recommend doing is checking ratemyprofessors to see what students in the past have said about your professors. That can give you a better picture of difficulty so that you can change your classes around, if you can do so.

I've taken 18 credits in the past and managed to survive. It's a lot, but it's do-able if you make sure to put enough time for studying. Make sure to know when exams are and what due dates for assignments are.

#2 Hiems, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not impossible but unless you really love what you're doing the potential for burnout would be incredibly high. Whether or not that's an overload depends on how well you handle large amounts of work, the difficulty of the classes, and the difficulty of your major.

My roommate is a bio major and for every science class she takes she also has to take a lab. So it's like taking double the classes.

4. I'll be majoring in computer engineering so it's heavy on the math classes.

5. Jwis

It's possible, if they are heavy on the math like you said, it is very possible. I took a few 18 credit semesters and they were tough. One of them included the 3rd semester of calculus and physical chemistry. It was awful.

Why are you taking so many credits each semester? Do you want to get out of college as quickly as possible? You should enjoy the time while you can - you are only young once.

6. DawnM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Personally I would say that's pushing it. I carry 12 hours every spring and fall and that gives me plenty of time for work/leisure. If I wind up with a class that is tougher than expected I can devote more time to it without spreading myself too thin. And you never know, I've had classes that should have been cake classes but the professor was an ass. I'd be concerned with getting burnt out too, like Aspen mentioned.
    Good luck with whatever you decide!

7. I want to finish sooner so I can get a job and get out of my parents house sooner. I can't live with the for another 5 years. Even 4 is too long but, this credit plan would get me out in 4.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Are you planning on working during college? If you do, I'd suggest to reduce your number of classes you'll be having every term. Usually, Computer Engineering isn't a program that allows you to 'walk through it' and being able to balance all of your course work including labs, assignments, exams, projects.... is going to be crucial to your success.

If you can, I'd recommend that you speak with a professor at the university/college who could give you some suggestions on what is doable, and realistic.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This really sounds like a pretty heavy schedule to me. The most that I have taken personally in college is 15 credit hours. I am in a pretty hands on field, and I expect that computer engineering is something that would be pretty hands on. Hands on courses require a lot of time and work... and if you are taking 18 hours that does not leave much time for much else at all.

I think that it is also important to remember your mental health. It will be extremely stressful for you to do this much coursework, and it could cause some damage on your mental health. If you have had issues with being stressed out in the past, then I would not suggest this at all.

10. I decided against it. I feel like I honestly could not make it work especially with my anxiety. I'm just going to take 15 a semester (the least I can do while still being eligible for the tuition discount).

---------- Post added 15th Dec 2014 at 11:07 AM ----------

Thank's for the help though you guys, :slight_smile:

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sounds a bit more reasonable. Let us know if you need any further support. :slight_smile: