1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it wrong my mom says fagot

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TrueHeartZ, Dec 10, 2014.

1. TrueHeartZ

My mom supports LGBT people but I have had to correct her from using that word. She says she has no hate when she uses it. She doesn't say it a lot, but she still says it. It has me wondering. Is it ok to say fagot if there is no hate behind it?

2. bornthiswaybby

Never acceptable. It's wrong.

3. Adam1969

"""Never acceptable. It's wrong."""

I agree! Be careful about how you raise the subject with her if you decide to, that is. You don't want to escalate that situation.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use it all the time, and so do my friends, as in "That's about the faggiest shirt I've ever seen". Said in the right context, I find it hilarious. It can be hurtful, but honestly, only if you let it. If somebody calls you a faggot, a great response is "Really? Is that the best you can do? Yes, I love guys. Sorry if you have a problem with that, but it's your issue, not mine." If you take away their power in trying to hurt you with that word... the word has no power. And as I said, I find a lot of situations where I think it's really funny.

I honestly find "queer" more bothersome than "fag" but I think that's a generational thing. Given a choice, I'd rather be a bundle of sticks than something that's odd or doesn't fit in. :slight_smile:

5. soulcatcher

That is so conformist on so many levels.

6. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ​The only time it is remotely acceptable is when two people from LGBT say it jokingly.

7. Alt

Alt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I find nothing wrong with it. It seems too stiffing to focus only on actions and not intent.

8. WearyWanderer

If she was using it in a malicious manner, then I'd agree that it was wrong. But she's made it clear to you that she's not, and if you don't have a problem with it, then it doesn't have to be one.

9. Adam1969

Yes, intent is important. I'm trying to kick my habit of using "tranny" around even my Transgendered or cross-dressing friends etc. They know I am joking but strangers will not. I'm trying to kick these habits as words have meaning and in some cases their historical context is significant. We know were joking but strangers will not! I once said to a friend, "Hey Bob, hows my favorite queen!?" He gave me a dirty look and literally 2 seconds later smiled real big and said "Hey... I am a Queen! I'm fine thanks!"

If we are part of a community that has suffered discrimination we have earned the right to own these words and use them as we please. Having said that... I have friends who call me "nigga" and occasionally I say it in return... but some people use the word N*gg*r and I would not use that word on ANY occasion!

I'm not trying to be preachy its just that I see my earlier post was a bit lacking in detail... luckily others have added and I agree, context is key!

10. lostwoods

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on alot. Does she mean it in a hurtful way. You say she claims she doesnt but if she slipped and said it infront of someone else it could be highly hurtful and offensive.

Does it.bother you? Really i mean if you stop and think...would you want someone saying it even teasing directed at you or your mom? Or someone else you care about?

Some people it doesnt bother , some it very offensive no matter what. Thing is even if she doesnt mean bad by it once you get used to saying something theres a chance it can.pop out of your mouth at not so great times cause you just forget...hey this could be offensive to some.

For me...if i had a gf and.someone called her a faggot , id be fit to be tied. And if someone called me.faggot i would be offended. Some of my relatives throw the word around...also calling people jews is something ive noticed... " shrug "

11. soulcatcher

Throw back at them with the words like anti-Semitic and heterosexist.

12. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends in what context she says it. Does she say it when talking about gay people or does she use it in another context?