1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on transitioning (FTM) and coming out to boyfriend

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sonoa, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Sonoa

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello there~ (Long Story Ahead) Okay so first of all I'm 16 and i was born female but i currently feel like i identify as male. I liked stereotypical girl stuff like the colour pink and playing with barbie dolls for half of my childhood. But when i left to china to study as my dad got a job there at the age of around 9-12, i started becoming more interested in boy stuff. I was bullied often because of my small size, and passive personality back then and i never really had much friends.

This was the beginning of when i felt like i wanted to be stronger which would come to my current situation. I entered another school around 2 years later which was much better with their community and i was never bullied. I started to adopt the mentality that i had to be more aggressive and stronger so that i wouldn't get bullied anymore (this was when i was still skeptical about the people there). I abandoned my feminine interests and it was here that i got into video gaming, sports, dressing up with boy-ish clothing etc.

I've always found it easier to be friends with a boy then a girl too (only really on the internet, in real life, because of my size, i always felt like i would be left out if joined the boys so i stuck with the girls instead even though i disliked it). I was even confused to whether i was a boy or a girl at this age and thought that maybe i really was a boy.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ever since a few months ago when i first discovered about genderfluid and transgenders i have been starting to question myself. I have always identified as a female but i had many male characteristics. At first i was thinking that i might be genderfluid, since i still hold to my feminine body and considered myself as a male at times. But now, i've started liking my body less and less and the thoughts of "i was born in the wrong body" back when i was a kid resurfaced. I still do like some feminine stuff like short skirts and dresses but i'd prefer to be a boy then a girl wearing one.

So the my issue now is that i'm confused to whether if i want to possibly transition to a male in the future, I'm sick of this body of mine, i hate breasts and having a vagina (every time anything related to it comes up i always start feeling uneasy which is why i'm afraid of transitioning since it involves it and a reason why i'd rather be a guy), I'm stick of always having this feeling and i rather be a male so badly but i'm scared on how transitioning in the physical sense goes.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And i have another issue, i have a boyfriend, we have been together for almost a year. And from his reactions i've seen regarding homosexual pictures, he usually goes in disgust about seeing it but he doesn't act overly homophobic. He's alright with me liking boy stuff and acting like one but there has been times where i dropped hints that i do not care about me being a girl in a certain role and occasionally he goes like "come on you're a girl" and always wanted to scream to him that I'm not.There was one other time that something to do with me being a boy happened and his reaction was something of "please dont be a boy" which always makes my heart drop.

I am attracted to males and i don't find the female body appealing at all (not to say that i am appalled by lesbians). So i'm confused whether i should tell him now that i have started to question my gender. I'm afraid he would never talk to me again or that we might always have an awkward barrier between us. Hes the only person that i've found that have the same love for the things i love. I know that if he truly loves me he will look past it but hes the only real friend that i have right now and i dont want to lose him because of this (at the very least still friends) but i don't know what to do.

I do not regret getting into my interests which led me to this now, heck it was because of me getting into video games that met my boyfriend, other friends and passion (towards video games) today.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very Sorry for the very long rambling and if this is possibly in the wrong section (its a combination of 3 different questions so i felt it would be better in here), i really needed to get this off my chest, this is the first time i've ever told anyone about this and i am very confused..

TLDR: i am a girl who started to identify as a boy but still likes some feminine things, i dont know if i want to transition because I'm scared of what happens (physically) in the process but if i dont i feel like i'm never going to be happy, i'm attracted to males and i dislike the female body, my boyfriend is possibly slightly homophobic and i dont know how do i tell him that i am questioning my gender.

To all females to males, how did your transitioning process work/go (physically)?
    How should i tell my boyfriend that I've started identifying as a boy?
    Am i straight or am i homosexual if i identify as a boy and like boys?

2. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, Welcome to EC.

Sounds like maybe your boyfriend really likes you, but may have some internalized homophobia. Unfortunately, this combination is likely to lead to a broken heart. I'm not certain about how to answer the first questions as I'm single, and very early on in coming out, and starting to transition. I am aware that one's attractions may change if they go on HRT, though. And, if you identify as a guy, and are only attracted to guys, it's generally accepted that you're gay. (Everyone's definition of words is slightly different, so if you aren't comfortable identifying as gay, then don't.)

3. Sam I Am

You boyfriend sounds like the sort of guy who is fine dating a masculine woman, but wants to be dating a woman. If there's some latent bisexuality within him, then you may have a chance, but if he's completely straight, there's good odds he won't be interested in dating another man.

I suppressed my gender identity for years because I knew that it would spell the end of my relationship with my loving and open-minded but undeniably straight boyfriend. (Things ended anyway for other reasons.) But I hadn't been able to truly explore who I really am until I started dating my current partner, who's bisexual and is fine with pretty much anything.

If he's not attracted to men at all, then it's not going to work, and you shouldn't deny yourself who you are to be with him. But give him time to figure out his own feelings - he sounds like he really cares for you, and he may yet surprise you (and himself!).

4. Sonoa

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your replies. I've been asking him things about transgenders indirectly and his replies are that he doesn't mind them but i supposed that's only if it doesn't involve him completely.

I guess i will tell him sometime around after December, i want to spend a little more time with him before i tell him about it incase it does go wrong. I hope for the best >~<

And thanks for the welcome confuzzled~

(Still need some answers for the 1st question)