1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by PositivelyMe, Dec 13, 2014.

1. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm home with my unsupportive, emotionally abusive family for sox weeks and I don't know how I'm going to make it. I'm honestly terrified and I just wish I had a family who didn't make me wish I was brave enough to jump off of a bridge

2. Really

Find ways to be away from them. Offer to do the grocery shopping, go to the library and rummage around in an interesting section, take up jogging, shovel the walkways.
    I'm guessing this is for the holidays. Just remember, it won't last forever.
    Maybe figure out something to say whenever they say something hurtful and just keep repeating it. "Please don't speak to me like that.". Every single time. Like a mantra to give you strength.

3. lilrocket

I also have trouble with my family, with whom I am currently staying. For me, they are a huge source of stress.

It sounds like it will be a very trying, hard time for you. 6 weeks can seem like a long time. I'm sure you know though, that really, in the scheme of things, 6 weeks is not so long. There will be a degree of unavoidable suffering, for six weeks, but then it'll pass, and you just have to try and meet it with acceptance and the understanding that the pain your family inflict comes from their own suffering and ignorance, and has nothing to do with you and who you are as a person -- that you're a good person. So, there is absolutely light at the end of the tunnel, as your current situation is only temporary. All pain passes eventually, as nothing lasts forever.