1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for people on antidepressents, or used to be.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RayXxx, Dec 13, 2014.

1. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

I just started taking antidepressents a few weeks ago, and there isn't a huge amount of change. The only thing I feel now is emotionally flat for the most part, and that means sexually too, which I know is a side affect. I'm on prozac, but unfortunatly, I still feel some anxiety and moderate depression.

I just wanted to know how antidepressents have worked for you guys and if you have similar side affects?

2. dimension253

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I haven't personally taken an antidepressants, but SSRIs, like Prozac, take about 4 weeks to fully take effect. The affect (or mood) flattening and a lowered sex drive are typical side effects of that class of drug, so that's nothing out of the ordinary. However, if you ever have any concerns, you should definitely talk to your doctor about them.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Generally speaking, the best description I've heard for SSRIs is that they essentially take off the peaks and valleys. So essentially they sort of moderate the lows (and the highs) you would otherwise feel. Many people do also describe a sort of "hollow" or flattened affect.

It's worth knowing that prozac is only a little bit better than placebo (10-15%) and, as the oldest of the SSRIs, has more side effects and for many people, less effectiveness than some of the newer ones. Each person's biochemistry is different, and so the process of finding a medication that works is honestly trial-and-error and sometimes it takes months and multiple medication changes before the right combination and dosage is found.

It's also worth noting that there's some promising data that shows that St, Johns Wort (an herb) and 5-HTP (an amino acid) are at least as effective, and in some studies, more effective, than Prozac in moderating anxiety and depression, but without the side effects of Prozac. You might consider talking to your physician about trying them (it would be best to do so after discontinuing Prozac, but check with your doc first) if you don't see much better results in a week or two.

4. shinji

shinji Guest

I can testify to this, in regards to anxiety, as for depression, not so much. But they do take a while to "start working". Obviously it's expected to differ from person to person and the actual dosage.

5. Sam I Am

Most SSRIs take 4-6 weeks to reach their full effects, as other posters have said. And yes, Prozac is one of the oldest drugs in the class, and newer ones are more effective.

You may also not be on a high enough dose of the meds, or you may be one of the people whose depression is caused by an enzymatic failure elsewhere in the serotonin pathway and so SSRIs won't work for you.

1. Give it a few more weeks.
    2. Ask your doctor about changing to a newer SSRI or about increasing the dose of the existing one.
    3. Research the different types of depression - some can be identified with a lab test, and be treated with dietary supplements (like L-methyl-folate, if your MTHFR is malfunctioning).

6. anonym

anonym Guest

I am taking Mirtazapine (Remeron) and Setraline (Zoloft).

I would say I am pretty flat emotionally but that's not exactly a bad thing because at least it's kind of stable. I still get moderate anxiety and depression but my doctor is happy with my progress. I don't find my sex drive is affected :icon_redf

---------- Post added 14th Dec 2014 at 09:03 PM ----------

Yes, this is right. Took a lot of experimenting over 2 years or so to get mine right.

7. I haven't taken much antidepressants before, only a couple of pills from one bottle prescribed to me a long time ago. I threw it away because I kept feeling scared more than usual. That was a year ago now, and I'm not sure if that made it worse or not.

Not sure how antidepressants are supposed to affect you, but I hear it just flattens out your emotions and moods. It wasn't for me, but it may be something for you. who knows honestly?

8. TheStormInside

I'm on citalopram, another SSRI. I haven't had the flattening effect that some people are talking about. It hasn't eliminated my anxiety and depression, either, but it does take the edge off and help me to function better than I used to. If anything for me it's helped me experience a better range of positive emotions, which may be because my depression tends to flatten me out quite a lot. It's also improved my sex drive. As others have said it tends to take 4-6 weeks for the antidepressants to take full effect. Sometimes side effects will go away with that time, too, but not always. You should tell your doctor about any side effects you're experiencing as well as how the meds are or are not helping you. At this point they'll probably ask you to stay on them for a bit longer to see if they help you once you're getting the full effect, but they may also suggest switching to a different drug that could work better for you, too. (Or, going off them if you so choose).

9. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

Alright thanks for the replies. I will wait a little longer and see how my progress comes along. The doctor gave this medication to me as a start, since it is one of more tested drugs and has been around for quite some time. I know it's not the most effective one out there but it's a start. If my side affects don't improve I may consider trying other antidepressents.

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Has your Doctor suggested any form of talking therapy alongside the prescribed medication? SSRI's, like Prozac really only take the edge off depression, but you could get better results from exploring your feelings with a decent therapist. Is that an option and how would you feel about it?

11. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

I do see a consular, but that in itself, isn't doing much for me. As far as talking out my trouble to someone goes, it hasn't made much a difference, which is why I make seek out a new person.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly, the majority of therapists suck. They're nice people who care, but don't have the skills to really do the work that needs to happen.

Good therapy will challenge you every single week. It will make you think. It will make you look at some belief you hold and question it. Sometimes it might make you cry. Sometimes you'll have a moment of absolute joy. Sometimes the week after the session you'll be angry and upset. But that's what a healthy therapy process looks like.

It doesn't sounds like you're getting this. If not, I'd strongly suggest changing therapists.