1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heading home for the holidays

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AnnoNemus, Dec 14, 2014.

1. AnnoNemus

This evening, in just a few hours, I head back to my hometown for a month. This will be the first time I've gone back since I moved away for school several months ago, and I should feel excited, but I don't. Don't get me wrong, I love my family and friends back in my hometown, but being separated from them has given me a lot of space to think about who and what I really am. Where I am now, nobody has any preconceived notions about me. I can be whatever I want to be without making others uncomfortable. Back home, everyone has known me for years, and everyone thinks they already know me. I don't know if I'm expressing myself very clearly, but that's how I feel. I guess the main issue is that I feel like I'll have to guard my emotions more when I go back, because I'm not ready to come out to my family, and my old friends who have grown up with me believing I was straight. Sorry if this seems disjointed or unclear, I just feel like I need to write down my feelings somewhere in order to understand them better. Has anyone else ever felt this way?

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your thoughts are perfectly clear and perfectly reasonable. It's ahrd for people to change their perceptions of those they have known for years. The way to do it, when you are comfortable and ready, is to engage in discussions and communicate with them. Even then, it will take time, but the more you communicate, the more people will see you for whom you truly are.