1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religion is ruining my mental health!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by gaynerd64, Dec 16, 2014.

1. gaynerd64

My grandparents and a girl I know have both been forcing religion on me which is literally driving me insane. I can't get any sleep because of it and I've been randomly freaking out, mostly at night. I'm afraid it is starting to have unhealthy consequences.

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can you explain what you mean by "forcing" religion on you? Are you trying to turn your back on religion altogether or are you trying to turn your back on their 'brand' of religion? Tell us more, if you can.

3. I know how you feel, if you ever wanna chat just find me :wink:

4. gaynerd64

I'm sorry, I would have elaborated more but I was in a hurry. Basically I'm no longer a religious person but my grandparents and, now, this girl won't stop pestering me about religion. The topic of religion makes me both incredibly angry and guilty and they won't stop trying to convert me back

5. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    I get it. I'm brought to church every Tuesday and Sunday, and go to other members houses for "bible studies" and crap. I leave teary-eyed every time. My clueless dad just thinks I'm tired. Like oohke said, feel free to chat about it if you like.

6. TheStormInside

I'm sorry to hear that, it's rough. When I was around your age I seriously questioned the religion I was raised in (Catholicism) and in the meantime was being prepped for Confirmation, which is the sacrament in which you as an adult make the decision to be a part of the Catholic church. It's sort of like an "adult baptism." I expressed my doubts, and was basically punished for it, and was still forced to go through Confirmation by my parents, who aren't even all that religious themselves. It was a difficult time and I'm still a bit bitter about it, but the way I coped was to tell myself that I didn't believe in it so it really didn't mean anything. I just went through the motions to keep the peace in my household. Now, I have several very religious relatives who I just keep my mouth shut around. I let them talk about religion all they want because it makes them happy, and who am I to judge? It definitely gets more complicated if they try to get me to go to church with them, but on the rare occasion it does happen now (I don't see them that often) I just go for them. Kind of like if you were to attend a baseball game with your parent even though you're not particularly interested. I've had to learn this sort of emotional distancing because there's a lot of emotion tied up into religion, especially if you're gay. But I hope some of those thoughts may help you. When you get older and become independent you'll have more freedom to go to religious services or not go as you see fit. I hope you can hang in there in the meantime :frowning2: .