1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling down over weight gain

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jared, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Jared

So over the past year I've gained back a lot of the weight I lost a few years ago. I started stress eating, lots of family issues and drama with my now ex boyfriend and just fell into a rut where I didn't take care of myself. It just kinda hit me tonight that I've gained a decent amount of weight and I'm really upset with myself since I feel fat and ugly. Part of me wants to blame it on my anti depressants, but I know that's just me trying to make an excuse for it. Does anyone have some good advice on how to get back on track and curb my stress eating? It doesn't help that I'm stressed about finals and just kinda feel like shit right now

2. MonteGuy92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think everyone goes through this at some time or another. Looking at your pictures on here you are definitely NOT ugly. You are quite good looking! Don't get so down on yourself. I totally understand the stress and family issues. My family is EXTREMELY homophobic. I was flat out told I would get "beat to a pulp if I was gay." So I feel extremely alone in my life right now...I have no boyfriend so my family is really all I have besides a few supportive friends. If the weight bothers you just try to be more conscious of what you eat. And don't eat just to eat...It's easier said than done I know. I get bored and eat all the time. Hang in there and just keep positive! (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

3. shinji

shinji Guest

I am basically going through the same thing, gained ~15 kilograms in a month by stress eating over boyfriend and personal issues. The only real option for both of us, is to apply ourselves, to find the strenght to stick to an adequate calorie intake and soon things will return back to normal. Also, removing the "stress" factors should be a priority or just, force yourself to not stress about them, somehow.

4. Hiems

Perhaps establish rewards for studying. If you read one page of notes, then give yourself with one piece of candy.

With this strategy, you're not totally depriving yourself of some treats, but at the same time you're restraining yourself.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

There's three things you can do.

One, you can make an attempt to remedy your stress-eating problem, by forcing yourself to eat healthier alternatives only. However, this is easier said than done.

Two, you can 'tough it out' until some of these stress-inducing things pass by, and attempt to get back on track. However, it's difficult to change a habit, the longer it has been going on.

Three, you continue what you're doing, only you replace what you typically eat, with something less excessive for snacks, while having more variety at key meal times. Yes, I know, this sounds awfully similar to option one, but hear me out. Do you like any sort of vegetables or fruits? If so, consider snacking on them when you want to eat.

For me, I snack on cherries. Compared to some other potential snack choices, this is much better for me. Best part? I can eat quite a bit of these, and not have to worry about too much weight gain. Just be sure to keep yourself hydrated, as that helps to curb hunger cravings.

If you can stick with it, you'll feel better about yourself, for sticking with it. In time, too, you will also have a boost of confidence, when you see the weight shedding off. This should held counter some stress, but not all of it, because healthy activities aren't the be-all, end-all remedy to problems, unfortunately.

If these don't work, there are other options. Only one of them I'd actually suggest, but I'm going to be upfront with you.

The first option is, remove all the easily fixed food. Leave food that requires time and some effort to prepare. This will make you less likely to want to eat, because you'll, eventually, realize, it isn't going to be a quick feeding fix. Also, though nominally, preparing food burns a little bit of calories, so, that's kind of something.

But if that one isn't an option, there is this second option. Again, I don't suggest this, because of the health issues, but it does pertain to curbing appetite.

Cigarettes. Really, any tobacco product. Cigarettes suppress hunger in many people, myself included. It's probably the only good thing about them. Once more, I don't advise this, but I want to be totally honest about options. It's your call as to whether or not, you want to indulge in any them.

If those aren't viable, you really only have two options left at this point. You tell somebody to monitor what you eat, and have them work as an accountability partner. This is one way.

The second way? You replace stress-eating with something else, like going outside and walking, chewing on gum, or brushing your teeth.

I know, you're probably thinking, brushing my teeth? Seriously, though, it does help some folks. Not many want to go bite into food, after brushing their teeth, because of how clean their mouth feels. Furthermore, not many want to taste toothpaste on their food, so they refrain from eating for a while. I wouldn't recommend using toothpaste each and every time, but brushing your teeth can help.

Just some possible ideas, for you to look over, and maybe think about. If anything, hopefully this inspires some kind of thoughts or solution.

#5 Kaiser, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree with MonteGuy, last thing you need to worry about is how you look, thin or with some weight on you - you look great either way. I think its your smile and charm that automatically comes through. Take the variability in your weight in stride and do not let it get you down. Keep in mind its marketing, television and movies which seem to suggest that weight is bad - they are commercial, arrogant and fantasy and do not reflect the real world. No need to let that cloud your outlook of yourself or your life.

For health purposes, maintaining a consistent diet is obviously important, whether stress or not. In fact, if you get into a habit of eating healthy, a few things happen - your stress actually is in more control, your health improves, and your taste buds adjust.

I personally gained 45 pounds due to stress over a 3 year period. It took me another 2.5 years to work it off, which I have successfully done. I did it, not because of how I looked, but because of how I felt. In fact, I had people complain when I was loosing weight because they preferred me when I was heavier (believe it or not, there are many of those who do prefer this).

I completely changed my diet, workout daily and manage to sneak in a snack every now and then when I need to. After 2.5 years, this has become part of my lifestyle and it is now habit.

If you looking to do the same thing, you can. But be sure your doing it for the right reason!

7. motivate4change

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi Jared!!!!
    Yes..i have ALOT OF GREAT ADVICE FOR U AND I WILL POST IT LTR TODAY.
    In the meantime,plz know that antidepressants DO CAUSE WEGHT GAIN,WHICH IS A KNOWN FACT,BC THEY SLOW THE METABOLISM!!!! I do not know one person who has not gained between 5-100lbs from simply taking antidepressants&not eating more.SIMPLY PUT..U NEED TO GET OFF OF THEM AND GET THE PROPER THERAPY TO LEARN HOW TO DEAL WITH STRESS IN HEALTHY WAYS! I am speaking from firsthand life experience and I am also a hypnotherapist. Now,if u are schizophrenic or have multi personality disorder,u will need to take your meds..if u are simply suffering from anxiety,panic or environmental depression,then u need get weened OFF of those antidepressants and weened INTO MEDITATION,A BALANCED DIET,CHECKING FOR FOOD ALLERGIES $SENSITIVITIES (BOTH CAUSE MOODSWINGS,ANXIETY&DEPRESSION),and a moderate exercise program.
    More info and tips to come. ..
    Kim:wink: