1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kicked Out For Being Gay

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by NotSureWhatIam, Dec 16, 2014.

1. NotSureWhatIam

So apparently its not acceptable that I went on a date with a man so the homeowner I am in a house sharing agreement with has told me to leave by the end of the month. I should mention that it's not certain that those are the reasons, but I have several reasons to believe that's the case.

Anyone move in with roomates? Did you make it clear that you were LGBTQ ahead of time?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By the end of December? That's 2 weeks. In most states, even in the absence of a written lease, the law recognizes a month-to-month tenancy (if that's how you've been paying rent), which means your landlord needs to give you at least a month's notice to move out.

You are probably best moving out anyway, as he sounds like an unreasonable person.

As far as telling future housemates, I think it's generally the best idea. Anyone who doesn't care... it won't matter. And anyone who does... you save yourself a hassle.

3. NotSureWhatIam

That's true, I looked up "gay" as a key word for house mates in Craigslist. I found a lot of gay men looking for Gay friendsly people. Which I tend to be haha. I have only been living here since a little bit before thanksgiving but I payed for the remainder of last month and this month's rent plus a pet deposit. Not sure if less than a month counts.

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry you have to deal with such a hassle. Sounds like your being thoughtful about it.

5. NotSureWhatIam

Part of living in the sunflower state I suppose. Lol

6. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hope and pray for the best for you while moving. I think it would also be wise to put that you are gay and looking for lgbt friendly roommates to live with

7. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Fear not, after you find a new place, you can probably make it an issue for the landlord. I would.

Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: Kansas - HUD

8. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Best wishes in dealing with that.

I lost my rental for being gay, but it happened differently. I had told the housemates I was gay -- I always did. They were a bunch of students who didn't care. It was just subletting a room from one who went elsewhere for the summer. One guy told his parents I was gay because they thought it was cool (this was 1979), and unfortunately, it was the homophobic owners of the house, who didn't live there. I was told they didn't want my kind in their house. They did not find out I later had sex with the bi woman who lived there and was missing her boyfriend, who was also away for the summer.

If I remember correctly, this was before that state abolished their sodomy laws, so gay sex was still illegal. Not that it was an excuse, but I was previously denied housing for a related reason. We were told two women could not rent a one-bedroom because sodomy was illegal. We asked if it would be okay if we didn't have sex, but they weren't persuaded.

#8 Chloe, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  9. mangotree

Similar thing happened to me while I was travelling about 10 years ago.
    I didn't come out to my housemates before moving in, but when I asked if I could invite a guy over for dinner - the sh*t hit the fan and they told me to move out for "unrelated reasons".
    I found a new place as soon as possible because I didn't want to be living with such closed minded people.

It wasn't easy though, so I'm sorry you've had to go through it too.

10. NotSureWhatIam

Thank you all for the support, I have heard of this happening...but in 2014? Really? People are just idiots.

11. NotSureWhatIam

Just to rant a little bit, I don't understand why these people think that their religion justifies them making it hard for me to find a house. It shouldn't be this hard for someone to find a place to live just because of their LGBT status. I have already gotten the speech about gods design today.

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm sorry this happened to you :icon_sad:
    Do you have a place to stay or go ?:confused:

13. NotSureWhatIam

If it came down to it yeah, id have to give up my baby (puppy) but I'd have a place.

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not the puppy :tears:

15. NotSureWhatIam

And hes adorable!

[​IMG]

16. NotSureWhatIam

Update, I may have found a place with a gay man in his early 50s. Very accomodating and has a very good vibe. And I can keep my puppy. :slight_smile:

17. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Excellent, I would suggest, since it seems to be a problem contacting your state or local housing authority, or who ever deals with landlords. At the very least they need to be educated in what the law is.