1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time venting session

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by sophomorex17, Dec 17, 2014.

1. sophomorex17

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi everyone, I probably won't be able to fit my full story in here and there will probably be many fragmented sections but I'm going to do my best to fill everyone in as best and clearly as possible. I am a bisexual 19 year old guy, sophomore in college and I came out to my friends at home about a year ago from today. Everyone was relatively cool and accepting about it, but the thing is I feel like I still put on a show for everyone because I come off as completely "straight" (stereotype, i know) and I never really discuss it with anyone nor do I try anything with guys. Also, none of my friends at college know (and I have alot of friends there - awesome but makes it more intimidating) and neither does my family. Quite honestly, its like i went back into the closet because I haven't done much since telling people that one time. Obviously, people still remember though, I guess. Also, a guy that I was friends with that I was seriously in love with for a few years also got the "bad" news when I told him about my feelings (also a year ago). I still think he is gay (hes in the marines now) but when I told him he was still in HS and freaked out (over text, nothing too bad) and deleted me on all forms of social media. However, what confuses me is that a few months later he refollowed me on snapchat and instagram repeatedly after I kept deleted him but eventually I got over it and kept him and he would like my pictures and snapchat me daily and when I saw him in person he would get all emabarassed. Weird, maybe I'm over thinking it, who knows - but we were never really CLOSE friends and we only talked for a year so I would have thought that if he was actually straight he would have just completely removed me from his life. Whatever, not too much of a big deal just something I thought I would add in.
    Now - heres my problem. I realize I have so much pent up anger inside of me from my childhood that is now being combined with the frustration of wanting to REALLY express my sexual desires as well as dealing with the tremendous workload of college.
    From childhood, my parents always screamed and overreacted towards everything and I would always be the one to remain calm and cool the situation. I was also always genuinely nice to people as well, and I was extremely sensitive. I'm not tooting my own horn here, I have my moments, but I'm just speaking in general. Whats killing me is that my parents ARE good people and do care about me, theyre just big balls of anxiety that overreact and yell at everything and don't realize how much its taking a toll on me (especially cause I'm really dealing with this sexuality issue right now.) Almost 20 minutes ago, I accidentally dropped one of maybe 30 silver balls (maybe 2$?) from a ornament and they both went ape shit and freaked out and told me how childish I am, etc. Clearly a complete overreaction on their part because it was simply an accident, however, I'm losing my ability to rationalize my anger in situations like this because of all the frustration I have towards everything. It's so hard for me to accept why there is still so many people critical of sexuality meanwhile it literally causes no harm whatsoever to anyone. It's making me generate hate towards my family because I'm assuming that they will predjudice against me if I told them. This hate is now coming out in different outlets such as me looking like a belligerant teenager but its killing me because I know what the real reason is. I just want to be able to fully express myself and sexual desires without all the backlash I will receive. I know it's a pipe dream and I know I have alot of friends who will dearly support me all the way through and I will have a lot of people who will completely turn against me. People tend to think I'm like "perfect" because I'm good looking, smart and relatively funny (seriously not tooting my own horn, psychologically it works against me because I set myself to impossible standards). Because of this, I really feel like expressing myself naturally is going to be incredibly hard and somehting that I won't be able to handle especially with college and not being able to live on my own should I recieve furious backlash from the family. But with all this anger arising, I feel like it is impossible to really connect with anyone because now IM the one who is judging people and making assumptions on how they will react to me.
    I apologize if that whole rant was completely unintelligable but I tried to fit as much as I could and write honestly. What do you guys think I should do, maybe see a therapist first and release some anger while slowly edging myself into being more open and natural about it? Should I wait till I have solidly released a lot of pent up anger and gotten a concrete group of friends to support me before I tell my family? Any advice is appreciated. I'm just so tired of not being able to really love anyone because I feel like I'm being jaded and fake. Love is such a good thing and I'm really ready to go out and experience it fully whether it be in friendship or romance. Sorry for being mushy... Thanks everyone!

2. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    A therapist can definitely help, but as with anyone it depends on the person. What makes you think your parents would take your sexuality that negatively? Is it just because they are so high-strung? You might be projecting your own negativity onto them, I think...

And while you say it isn't a big deal, I definetly think your friend in the Marines is rethinking how he feels about you...