1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excessive worrying

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Quiet Raven, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Quiet Raven

Does anyone else here worry lot? Like... About what people are thinking, or just worry about the worst possible thing happening in any given situation? And do you get so consumed by it that you just can't focus on anything else? Or sometimes it just drives you crazy worrying any time you aren't distracting yourself? And is this sort of thing frequent, about the smallest, silliest things?

For me, the answer to all those is yes. Well... Some of you kinda know that...

I am making this thread to see if anyone can relate... And maybe give some advice. I am seeing a counselor already, and we are working on it. But I figured if I could get some advice here to consider as well that may be helpful too. Well... I mostly just wanna know if people here can relate...

It is getting to be a serious problem. Sometimes I get so worried about something and just embarrass myself by making a big scene, apologising for something completely unnecessarily... then that just causes new worries! I mean jeez. I hate this!!

Just today. My counselor suggested I start by picking a time each day to worry. Just to manage it. When I think of something and start worrying. Tell myself, "wait until (designated time) and worry then".

Seems kinda strange. But worth a try I suppose.

#1 Quiet Raven, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  2. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I worry constantly. For me, it ties in with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder -- I sometimes worry about things that aren't true, or things that don't make any difference. (It's embarrassing to give examples, but worrying about a disease I don't have would be an example.)

But I have regular worries too about my life and right now about my sexuality and it's really tough for me, so I can totally sympathize. If you're already seeing a counselor I think that's great. Sounds like the advice is worth a try to me too...

Sometimes in the short term, when I'm really keyed up and can't sleep because of worries for example, I'll think of relaxation techniques like running a hot bath or reading a good book. I keep "escape reading" type books around that don't remind me of anything serious and that helps sometimes.

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have social anxiety and it often makes me worry constantly. I definitely have a lot of "worst case scenario" worries when it comes to social situations and other things. For instance, I keep having anxiety attacks because I have to ask my mom to stay over at my girlfriend's house next weekend. Giving Christmas presents drives me crazy because there's a lot of "What if they hate it? What if they already have it?" spinning around my head.

I've heard of picking a time each day to worry. Meditation is also something that you can try. I enjoy it, but I always let it fall to the wayside because it's really hard for me to schedule specific times for things within my day. I find journaling really helps when the thoughts are spiraling and I need get them out of my head. Just writing it all out helps me think more clearly.

4. MonteGuy92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I completely understand what you mean. It's like I almost have to have something to worry about. If I am not worrying about something my brain freaks out and finds something. I think I have OCD a little bit. As crazy as this sounds getting new things is extremely worrying and mentally stressful for me. For example I just got a new TV and I have been worrying about it and obsessing over it since I bought it. Constantly checking for dead pixels, flaws, and any other issues. My bathroom was recently remodeled and I am constantly worrying and stressing trying to keep it perfect. I know it sounds crazy but I hate getting new things because I go crazy making sure they are perfect. I also worry about money a lot and about my health. The crazy thing is the worrying isn't helping my health at all. It's no fun to be this way. I have been trying to stop but it's harder than it seems.

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It seems to increase when the stress level is high.

What might help:
    -taking time off, spending time solitary, maybe in nature. Music etc. off.
    -cooking, something creative
    -calming down, having a few minutes each day just to sit and think... thinking about feeling safe, and just feeling oneself. Maybe thinking a bit about something you'd like... and how to get there...
    -not overobsessing with neg scenarios. Right away mentally turning it into a positive scenario, a good outcome.
    -learning meditation and stress relaxation techniques... like deep breathing, etc...
    -regular exercises, a few situps every day
    -healthy diet: no large amounts of sugar in beverages, for example... fruits and vegetables...
    - enjoying a good soup or a cup of tea from time to time. This can even be done a few times a day with a thermos flask... just taking a break, having a cup of tea and enjoying the flavour...

(*hug*)

6. Quiet Raven

I am the same way! When it comes to getting new things. I know exactly what you mean.

Especially limited edition things. For example, one of my favorite games is Metroid Prime trilogy on the Wii. There were very limited printings of it. It is worth quite a bit now. Handling it terrifies me. I find it kinda hard to enjoy sometimes because I just keep worrying about something happening to it and I can't get another one.

And Jay, thanks. Though I'm not sure if I'd say stress is the main thing that increases it for me... More like... Happiness... I guess. Like when something good happens, I worry about it leading to something bad, or just losing that good thing. Or person... Like friends.

In fact... Sometimes it isn't even related. My most recent panic attack came very shortly after I came out to my brother and counselor. And it involved suddenly panicking about something I said a month ago. I came out, became happy, then suddenly thought of something completely unrelated to worry about.

#6 Quiet Raven, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  7. TheStormInside

Yeah, that is the story of my life. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Basically I worry about *everything* though often I will become fixated on one thing or another for a period of time. Sometimes it's health, sometimes it's finances, friendships, and of course lately, LGBT issues. And often they are things that might cause a little worry, but I worry to the point where I can't focus on anything else and it effects my ability to function.

Some advice, well you're seeing a counselor and that's great! Keep at that. One thing my therapist and I do is talk about my thoughts and what the "worst case scenario" is in my mind, and to think about what would happen and how I'd deal with that, so I feel a little more in control. Another thing that can help is writing. I used to journal and it helped me, I need to get back into it, you might want to give it a try. For some reason sometimes I feel a pressure to continue to worry so I don't forget about something. Writing it down helps ease that a bit. Another helpful thing is walking. I think any kind of exercise will help, though. Walking helps me get some time to burn off some anxiety and also to let myself just be with my thoughts. Exercising helps anxiety and depression in general. Lastly I distract myself a lot. This is probably a more maladaptive coping mechanism for me, which is why I put it last, but it helps. I work at home so I often have TV going while I work to keep my thoughts from going bad places. If I'm feeling really badly I'll just watch a favorite show to get my mind off of things.

8. HTBO

Yes, I used to have that problem. I still worry, I can't not do it, but the amount I do has drastically decreased. My therapist told me first to exercise because I have so much energy which I was trying to contain in order to be 'normal' and this energy went to my head and turned into many, many thoughts, most of them dealt with worrying. Exercising allowed me to use up some of this energy and it brings some peace to my mind as well. The other thing he told me, and this will sound strange, but stop listening to that voice that keeps telling you to worry. You do have control on whether you decide to listen to it and once I began to ignore it or tell it to go away (really, i am not crazy and don't talk to myself..much :wink:). Somewhere along the way, worrying stopped being a problem and I don't care what other people think anymore. The only person whose opinion matters is yours, the rest, who cares. Another thing my therapist told me was that most of the things you worry about you can't control so learn to let it go, and if it is something you can control, work on it

9. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes... don't ask why, but it helps.

(*hug*)

10. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I worry alot and it get's really bad because I worry about stuff that hasn't even happened yet and that in turn, stresses me out or I get sick.
    I usually make myself a cup of tea when I start worrying to calm myself down in the beginning and then I just spill the beans to my mom. For some reason, she always know when something's on my mind/bothering me and urges me to talk it out and it really helps.
    So, I would suggest talking about your worries to someone you trust. Because, One; they won't degrade you or your worries. Two; they know you really well. And Three; they'll really help you through it.

After a good debriefing session, I always feel better and kind of silly for worrying so much.

11. Water lover

Water lover Guest

I worry all the time it sucks. It's probably because I am more mature than my brother or his friends but I am always yelling and nagging them to use common sence. I can never listen up with anyone. I am always afraid of getting in trouble and it sucks.

12. rainshadow

I worry a lot especially when the stress level is high. I working at a new job and it's been extremely tough. Im worrying all the time about my performance which I think has worked against me. Been told that I'm making too many mistakes at work and I got called into to talk with my manager about what to do to move forward. Luckily they've been understanding and they told me I need to relax and be more confident. lol It's so hard to stop beating myself up.

I've been told to take more time away from my desk to decompress, try and be more confident, and not second guess myself. Easier said then done, but I'll try. Been trying to get more sleep in and go for walks at work. I've been talking to a close friend about it too and that's helped.

13. I'm_Danni_x

I worry about alot of things, mostly what normal typical trans* teenagers like myself worry about. Like grades, I also stress a lot about the clothes that I wear and I worry about my pronouns and whether I pass as the gender I identify as.

14. toastersayswhat

I worry alot especially when it comes to the future and social situations. I worry so much about what others think of me I try to avoid people as much as possible. All I have left for company now is my family and they're not very supportive of anything. At this point I consider my future a hopeless case. I don't know why I worry about it anymore.