1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT people with Depression, Bipolar, and other mood issues.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Brenndo, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Brenndo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a mood disorder and after 10 years of major problems, I finally sought treatment and have maintained the regimen.

What I'm starting to think is that being LGBT has a major influence on how people with mood disorders think, feel, act and execute rationality.

I spent my entire adolescence being extremely promiscuous and using so many drugs. My grades were terrible. I could never maintain any type of platonic or romantic relationship.

I am finally stable now... for the first time in my life... but now I realize how much I have messed up everything. I messed up my childhood, I messed up all my relationships, I alienated everyone who ever mattered to me, I was used and abused when I was using drugs. Now, it's almost like I don't know how to connect with people in a normal, meaningful way...

I think being LGBT didn't help. I'm already a little strange to everyone. The community is already dying to use people like me - and there are so many nasty little crevices gays can turn to within the gay community. I regret a lot...

I thought, perhaps, some people might like to share some thoughts or feelings on their problems.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's great that your stable now. What is the past is in the past, let it die there. You were strong enough to seek and get treatment, good for you. Stay strong and focus on the future. Your young, made some mistakes as to be expected early in life, and have your entire life ahead of you now. Use your the experience you have gained to better your life.

Good luck!

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    yes, you did what you did - for whatever reason. It is in the past and the main thing now is working out where you are now and how to navigate the future with all the self-insight you have learned along the way

4. Itisthefear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1st of all i would like to congratulate you. Not everyone manages to overcome depression and it's very hard to do so!

Start with small steps at a time, try to meet new people in your university/working environment
    take up new hobbies attend the gym and stuff like that. Try to meet as many new people as possible to move on and make new relationships.....soon you will be able to have a stable small network with people where you can talk and exchange opinions!
    The hard things are over , try to enjoy the new things you got from being free from this depression!!
    best of luck~

5. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems every time people hear stories like this they think a simple acknowledgement of regret somehow means the antagonist has achieved the extinction of the three fires. What you have achieved so far in your young life is some pretty important life experiences. Good for you they have lead you to some stability. It could have gone a lot worse. But stability isn't exactly the same thing as happiness is it? You say an LGBT trait hasn't helped you. That suggests that there is some concept of normalcy that if only you had that trait instead, well, then you would have ended up happy I suppose? Or at least the trigger that lead to your unhappiness would never have been pulled? Let's get serious shall we. What is it exactly you really want? Acknowledgement for all of your past suffering? Some connection you have never experienced? Status you presume to deserve? These are all the trappings of a cyclic existence and thus they are all illusions. You are not immortal. The linear experiences of this mortal life of yours are all you have; twenty two years past so far, many decades in the future left to experience, probably. Don't waste time on meaningless crap like regret and fixations. Get rid of your attachments. They are destroying your spirit.