1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very Confused

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ZestyLion, Dec 21, 2014.

1. ZestyLion

Sorry about this. This post fits in multiple categories, so I decided to just post it here. This is very confusing, but here it goes.

I am, both sexually and romantically, a passive person. I guess you could also call me effeminate. In a relationship, I would want to be treated as the "woman" in the relationship (please don't take this the wrong way, I know it may sound offensive, but I don't mean it in any derogatory way). This is clear in my personality too. I guess that's my first question - is this normal for a gay male? I don't know if I would just fall under that or if I should consider my gender identity since I have never given it any thought. After all, I'm only 14.

So now that you have some of that background, I would like to explain a few things. I constantly find myself attracted to more effeminate guys, and it's just very confusing since I don't know if any relationship like that would work. Because I couldn't see myself being more masculine and dominant. Don't get me wrong though. I still am attracted and frequently crush on masculine guys. I just don't know what is "normal."

Is this stuff normal? Am I giving too much thought into this stuff? Is it too early for me to start learning all of this stuff about myself? All I know for sure right now and can say with confidence is that I'm gay. Everything else is just a blur. :confused:

2. haku9602

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Life is a learning process. You are in your own journey, learning about yourself. Anyone is a total different world. I think you are in a discovering stage of your life. You are going through puberty and it revolutionizes the body, physically, mentally and emotionally.

Due to, our hormones, experiences, feedback, self-image and reinforcement. We all develop a sexual identity.
    Everything can affect your sexual identity. For example:

Hormones: If you are a male, you will produce testosterone which makes you more aggressive and competitive. Some effeminate men have low testosterone. they have higher levels of estrogen(female sexual hormone.) Men who are castrated are called eunuchs; they develop a female voice and female body traits. So, the sexual hormone is the most important influence in sexuality and personality. But, this is not the only one.

Experience/environment: When you were a child, you didn't know what was good or bad. If you were told to act or behave in a certain way, you could have learnt feminine behaviors from being all the time around women. i.e. your mom, aunts, girls, etc. behaviors are learnt. If you were dressed as a girl, it could have confused your identity and you could have thought you were a girl at that time; and now you behave according to that belief.

Feedback: If you were called "gay", "girl", "faggot" etc, those words could have incorporated into your own gender identity and now you act out of what you believe you should be.

Inner talk: Then, with time, you develop a self-talk, which is the way you talk with your own persona. If you tell yourself you are gay or effeminate, you will act that way. In contrast, if you tell and repeat yourself that you are a male and masculine, you will start acting this way over time.

This is a complex topic, sexuality is the result of a genetics, experience and self-image. and you're too young to even know if you are gay, bisexual or straight. Sometimes, guys your age conclude they are gay because they don't perform good in sports, because they didn't have a good relationship with their fathers and because they feel rejected by their male peers. I still think that their is a small percentage of gays that are born that way(I know some), but if a homosexual was not born that way, he/she is mostly the result of a environment. I think you should go to a counselor or psychologist to discover yourself, to look for advice. or talk to your parents or an older mentor if you can. I wasted so many years thinking that I was gay, I wasn't. Then, I thought I was bisexual and I'm not. So, now at age 28, I'm still learning about myself and moving into settling down with a woman. Don't waste your life. Leave your fears behind and seek for help. You could figure this out in a year or so and move on into planning your life; that is finally the reason why we are here.

#2 haku9602, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  3. ZestyLion

Okay, I don't get what that was all about. I am definitely not too young to know I'm gay. And we do not develop our sexuality from out environment. At times I would rather be straight. And you think that could be changed? It can't. And if you thought you were gay but it turns out you're straight, that's great for you, but you don't know my life.

This is supposed to be a support forum anyway, why are you here if you're going to tell me this BS?

4. MusicislifeXD

Hey I don't agree much with Haku9602, but pleas know he was just tryin to help. We're all trying to help, and if we miss the mark, I apologize in advance.

Now about your feelings being normal or not, I don't know if they are or not exactly, because I'm not a gay male :slight_smile: But I know that I had some thoughts like yours when I was trying to figure stuff out. I know a gay friend of mine did too. He was attracted to effeminate guys, but he was more effeminate as well. So I think your feelings are normal, and you will find someone who is completely okay with who you are, and loves you for it. And don't listen to people who tell you that you can't have it figured out. You know yourself and others don't as well. I hope this helps! Stay strong.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people think all gay guys are effeminate ZestyLion, but the fact is we come in a variety of shapes, sizes and styles.. all of which are perfectly 'normal'. Every gay relationship has its own dynamic too. In some relationships one partner is dominant, while the other is passive/submissive, in others there is greater equality. It's really a matter for the couple to work out for themselves. I don't think there is anything wrong with one partner being more passive or submissive in a relationship, providing it's consensual. There are occasions when the dominant partner can be over-bearing and disrespectful and that's when it goes wrong. Just be aware.

Some effeminate guys are incredibly strong willed and determined (dominant) ZestyLion and they are more than capable of asserting themselves in and out of a relationship. It's definitely possible for a relationship between two effeminate guys with different personalities to work like magic. Don't rule it out.

It's not that you are over-thinking it, you just need to understand the many characteristics of gay guys. Being effeminate doesn't necessarily equate to being passive.

Hope this helps a little.

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

It might help to know that being effeminate does not always mean being submissive. That fits for your personality, but you can still find feminine men who are really dominant and would love playing that role with you. I know personally I have a masculine gender expression but I am highly submissive. Just depends on the people involved.

As for gender identity....you'd have to ask the question 'Do you feel uncomfortable with your male body and/or the idea of being perceived as male or being called male pronouns?"

If not, you're probably just a feminine guy which is also okay.

7. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would tell you not to worry about it too much :slight_smile:
    You're still only 14 and only just starting to explore and figure this all out.
    I would say just do what feels right if the right guy comes around and go with your gut.
    There are lots of gay/bi guys on all parts of the masculine/feminine spectrum, so there's bound to be someone out there for you.

Are there any guys in your life you have an interest in in particular right now?

8. ZestyLion

Thanks for the support guys. And now I understand what you guys mean. I am feminine and in this case submissive too. Looking at my crushes I guess I have been mistaken and most of them have been probably dominant even though they are feminine.

As to WhiteShadows' question, yes, there are plenty. Unfortunately most of them are straight, but I can definitely see what type of guys I'm into.

Again, thanks for the support, guys!

9. haku9602

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I'm just giving you the answer I wanted to hear when I was your age. I'm not telling you that you are straight, nor gay, nor bisexual- I'm not saying that. I'm telling you that you should find a mentor or a counselor; because as you said, I don't know you. I'm just trying to tell you that this is normal and you can see the confusion from many perspectives and points of view. Finally, try to open your mind: everything is possible.

10. ZestyLion

Sorry about that, I should have thought more about what you said. I immediately assumed that you were being rude, which was wrong.