1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really Disheartened :/

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by KingJude, Dec 27, 2014.

1. KingJude

So, I was at my stepsister's house today, and she mentioned how her daughter had been watching Hollyoaks (or some other shitty soap opera) and that she saw a gay couple and had said, and I quote: 'Urghh! That's disgusting!' after my stepsister explained to her daughter that they were a couple. This is really disheartening. My stepsister told her daughter that there was nothing wrong with being gay, but her daughter still thought it was disgusting. She's eight. Her parents are NOT homophobic, and to my knowledge neither is anyone in her family. Why has she reacted like this? What's causing her homophobia? 'Cause it makes me feel sick to be judged by such a tiny child. :icon_sad:

2. Glalie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How old is her daughter? If she's relatively young, pre-adolescent kids go through periods of strict and elastic thinking when it comes to gender roles. She may be in a period of her life where her thoughts on gender are rigid, in which case, even though her parents aren't homophobic, everything she's seen up to this point has reinforced a strict heterosexual model for her thinking, and she may just say that it's gross because she hasn't been around it much. I'd say it's not much to worry about if her parents are trying to teach her better.

3. KingJude

She's eight. I guess you're correct, it just really upsets me to see her so adamant that homosexuality is wrong :/

4. PalestrinaMX

Unfortunately she could be learning it from somewhere else, school maybe. Hopefully her view on the topic changes as she gets older, especially since the world is changing in that regard as well, too.

5. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This when i think its time for a parent with punishment