1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to beat depression

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Seige, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Seige

So for the last few months Ive been extremly depressed. Ill have several good days, but then it hits me really hard, and everything seems so hopeless. I have a bunch of friends, and theyre all supportive, but I feel so alone and isolated. Ive started to lose friends because im so depressed, and sad all the time. Ive realised that other people cant really help me, and that other people cant beat this depression for me, so I have to beat it myself. The problem is that it all seems so extremly daunting. No matter what I do to try to improve, I always slide back into this hole im in. I cant even imagine being genuinly happy and free from stress. I feel so lonely all the time, and dysphoria and stress just get so overwhelming. Even talking doesnt really help, since I gwt so fixated on all the terribleness in my life, but NOT talking makes me feel more isolated and alone.
    I just realised that I havnt genuinly laughed in like a week. Its been almost half a month since Ive even had a hug from a friend. I just feel so pitifull and helpless. I really want to beat this, but I dont know where to start, or even HOW to start. I always thought Id just have to survive untill I could move out and transition and then all the dysphoria would go away, but now im starting to realise that even once I move out and transition, im still going to feel worthless and depressed, and Im going to have anxiety about whether Im passing well enough or not. I always thought Id just have to "wait out" this depression, but im now realising that Im not going to be able to wait it out.

Dunno what my point in posting this was. Advice never seems to help me much, probably since I never even try it since im sure it wont work. Im just at a loss of where to start. I dunno. Sorry guys.

2. AsheTheHuman

As someone who's been struggling with depression and have met many others both in real life and on the internet, I can tell you that depression can NOT be beaten alone, nor can it be "waited out". I think you posted this for the same reason I posted my "Cutting" thread all those months ago. You, on an almost subconcious level, realize you need help- even if it's just someone to talk or vent to. I can tell you how to start. See a psychiatrist, a school counselor, anyone who is a professional in this area. I know you think you have to do it alone. I thought that too. Go back and read some of my threads if you want proof. But you don't have to. Don't be sorry. I'm here if you ever want to talk. Good luck~ <3

3. DelvSeigible

With a lot of help from my family and many, many counselors/psychologist(5ish) I was able to internally get rid of depression as a state of emotion, so yes get help if you are ready to recieve it. As a temporary solution think of this anecdote: a boy sits in bed thinking there is no solutions ahead. Slowly the coldness in his heart consumes him and he no longer sees a future. He decided to end his suffering and place all the anguish created by his situation on his family. His family though in turn tries to help him. Psychologists and friends help him. Suddenly hos heart grew warm again for he knew there was a future with him in it. He knows when he is sad and when he is happy and he dwells in neither. He dwells with his love ones.
    Theres my sad story hope it was not too bad or influence you negatively. Work out the situation one way or another and then bypass depression, you will have the chance to explore/develop your gender identity. There is always help if you extend your hands enough times as far as you believe you can at the moment. Don't dwell in hardship such as money expense and time limit especially since you are still young. Live with the help of yourself and other. This is from my experience as I am also beginning my transitioning process soon.

Those that live in the present, live free of constrains they put upon themselves, they stretch their hands as far as it can reach as well as reaching further, and they are content in doing so for their entire lives.
    ~Erika

#3 DelvSeigible, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  4. Seige

The problem is that My parents wont let me see a psychiatrist unless its a psychiatrist at our church. I know the counselers at our church and Id be unable to talk to them about most of my problems. They dont understand homosexuality or being transgender, and I cant explain to them. Ive tried beating this depression with the help of my friends byt they can only handle my depression so much. They cant solve this for me. And I dont know HOW to solve it. Im all alone in this. I dont think my parents will even take this seriously, since ive said I was depressed before, and they just said they didnt know how to help. I went to a psychiatrist before, but my parents stopped letting me go to him because he actually supported me being trans, even if he didnt know what to do to help me transition. Its just all a mess.

5. AsheTheHuman

That really sucks. I'm sorry your parents are like that. Honestly, medicine is only part of the solution, but it still plays a part. Church psychiatrists can't, thankfully. Maybe play up that card. "Medicine might help and the only way I'm going to get it is to go to an actual psychiatrist." You're not alone. At the very least, I'm here.

6. Seige

Haha, that wont work either xD my moms a pharmacist, so shes paranoid that gibing me antidepressants could cause suicidal thoughts. Its ironic since depression has that very same side effect.

7. AsheTheHuman

What!? That doesn't even make sense! That's like being worried that cold medicine will give you the sniffles!

8. Seige

Yeah. My parents arnt very rational about this. I dont think they realise how bad it gets for me. Ill lay in bed some nights crying and hyperventilating and it feels like my minds melting. I cant tell them it gets that bad though, because then itll be right back to the church counseler for me, which will just make me anxious and make everything worstheIve thought about this a ton and I just cant see a solution. And thats even ignoring the fact that im most of the problem. Just handling the outside sources of my depression are overwhelming, let alone all my faults that make it that much worse.

9. AsheTheHuman

I wish I could have helped more. But I'll be here if you ever want to talk. I've just ran out of ideas. Sorry.

10. Seige

Yeah, thats the general problem. Like Im honestly trying to not be super pessimistic, but short of a miracle, I dont see this depression going anywhere.

11. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm very sorry that you feel so isolated with all of this.

In denying your identity and refusing to allow you to see a suitably qualified counsellor your parents are probably exacerbating the feelings of depression. With no outlet for it all, there no wonder you feel so low. The good thing is that your recognise the cyclical characteristics of depression and you understand how important it is to talk/vent. Can you use this forum when so many other options seem closed to you? We're no substitute for qualified counsellors, but maybe we can provide a safe and precious outlet when it all seems so bleak. How about it?

Ashe was right in saying that medication is only part of the solution. On a more practical level, what are you doing (or trying to do) to raise your mood? Things like a good balanced diet, taking exercise, regular sleep patterns, having hobbies and interests and just staying connected play a part.

When you come here you can be yourself amongst people who share your hopes and fears. Lean on us if you need support and try not to lose hope. Depression can be beaten - I promise you. Dig deep and keep trying.

12. Seige

Aww, thanks for the support guys.
    I tend to just try to distract myself, by playing tons of video games or listening to music/watching youtube. It doesnt work all the time though, since its hard to distract yourswlf from a giant black cloud in your head. I swim every other day with my dad too, which is refreshing, and keeps my dad and I semi-close (as close as this situation allows.) I try to talk and vent to friends, but they get frustrated that they cant help, and get a little mad at me that I never take their advice. Id LIKE to take their advice on things, but it doesnt seem like itll help. Ill just vent here, but I feel the same thing will happen.

13. Seige

I was having a really good day today. Stayed up all night playing videogames and relaxing, and just snuggled up this morning. I was really looking forward to tommorow since I was going to go to the mall with two of my friends and wear a bra and try to buy breast insoles but it looks like that wont be happening. My friends are always so busy and Im here.... Playing videogames. Doing nothing.
    This is the third time weve scheduled time to go to the mall and something comes up that keeps us from going. Its like everythings working against me transitioning at all. I feel dizzy and I think I might cry. Sorry guys.

14. AsheTheHuman

(*hug*) I'm sorry things didn't work out like they should have. I'm glad you're continuing to post here instead of keeping it all bottled up. You're very brave for that. I'm sorry. (*hug*)

15. Seige

Thanks ashe. :/ I just feel so tired and alone. And I really want to cry, but crying wont help anything.

16. AsheTheHuman

It's okay to cry. Sometimes it does help to get it all out. No one will think less of you.

17. Seige

Crying doesnt let emotions out for me. It just intensifys them.
    Im losing all my friends. Im so lonely that im extremly clingy and annoying im so terrified that theyll leave me that its making them leave me.

18. AsheTheHuman

I understand that all too well. I lost all the friends I had at the time when I came out as trans. Then when I found new ones, I clung on to them as tightly as I could. I was terrified they'd leave me as well. It's scary, I know.

19. Seige

But these are friends Ive had for years. Some of them have ONLY know me as seige. Its not even the fact that Im trans that theyre leaving. Its me. Im depressed and clingy and self-pitying. And I just dont think i can handle this anymore.

20. AsheTheHuman

None of that is our fault, though. Putting the blame on yourself isn't going to make it any better. You need to realize: It's not your fault. Once you realize that it will help.