1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to stop thinking/feeling this way

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CrazyAwkward, Jan 2, 2015.

1. CrazyAwkward

Lets just say I have some self esteem issues. I was made to feel worthless and stupid a lot when I was younger. Logically I knew that wasn't true, but I still started to believe it after awhile. Now, all these years later, I can't shake that mentality. If someone says something nice about me, I find it hard to believe they're being truthful. Same for when someone says they like me. If someone seems to want to spend time with me, if they seem to actually like spending time with me, it's hard to accept. It must be out of pity or extreme boredom or something. I get the urge to back away, hide, avoid them so they don't have to waste their time or to avoid disappointing them if they actually are being genuine. I feel like I'm not enough, that I shouldn't darken their door. Which is really unfair to everyone involved, and like I said above, not logical. I've been ignoring these thoughts and feelings lately. I've been trying not to think so much at all and just go about my business and let life happen. But it would be great if I could stop feeling this way altogether, get that nagging voice out of the back of my mind. I'm just not sure how to get it to shut up.

This is a lot longer than I meant it to be. Sorry about that.

2. Water lover

Water lover Guest

I know how you feel exactly. It sucks I know but here are a couple things that I did to over come this feeling. First find someone you can really talk to. Like one of your best friends and tell them how you feel. This will make you feel so much better because if your like me you realize that they wouldn't still be there after all the time you were together if you wern't their friend. Unfortunately I don't know how to deal with compliments yet either they just make me feel worse sometimes. What helped me the most was just to have fun and keep yourself busy with your friends. You can't here that horrible voice if your laughing and too exited to hear it.

3. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have the same problem. I learned some cognitive techniques for dealing with it but I don't really apply them like I should because I feel so powerless in front of the feelings. And I don't have friends to keep busy with...

But there are some cognitive-behavioral techniques to combat those messages... I'm absolutely not a professional but there is probably information online.

4. CrazyAwkward

I don't really have anyone I can talk with about this, or friends to keep busy with. This issue is one of a handful that's kept me from forming lasting friendships. There's only one person I can think of that I would discuss this with, but I'm kind of starting to like her a lot and I don't want to seem pathetic. Even though we've both talked about similar issues before. I guess I just feel dumb that I haven't gotten over this yet, and that makes it harder to talk about than other things.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll have to take a look online sometime and see if I can find anything that might help. Also, I'm sorry you are dealing with the same problem. I hope you are able to overcome it too.