1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by flyawayfree, Jan 3, 2015.

1. flyawayfree

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have struggled with anxiety and depression for pretty much my entire life. I have gone through periods where things are better than others. In the past few years things have gone down hill pretty fast. Last year I finally went to counselling after a lot of support from my friends. I spent the entire school year there and in a lot of ways, it was helpful. However, it did not help with my anxiety and I am still cutting. Recently I have been getting progressively worse. I feel like I want to escape and be done. I don't have intentions of acting on any of these feelings. I am moving to a new state for work this week. I don't want to tell my parents about what I am going through because I don't want them to grill me. I know I need help. My friends are there for me, but they can only do so much and there are things I don't like to tell them because I don't want them to bear that weight.

I need help. I don't know how to ask for it, or go about getting it. I've tried my best to fight everything on my own. I want to fight it on my own, but I know I can't.

I guess what I am asking is if anyone has any advice on how to cope with anxiety and depression and how to go about finding help?

2. lilstar04

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi flyawayfree,
    getting the right counsellor for you can help immensely; it did in my case. For the first half of last year, I had funding to see this amazing psychologist, and with him was making heaps of progress, and felt like my deppression really was lifting. When that funding ran out, I switched to a free (volunteer) counsellor, and while he is very caring and supportive, honestly the other one had some kind of special skill, experience maybe, I don't know, but I have felt the difference ever since. (I can now apply to see the amazing one again, which is just as well because I can relate to many of the things you wrote...)

We don't entrust our cars to just anyone, and the mind is much more important than a car, so I think it might be worth 'shopping around' a bit, to find a counsellor or therapist who really makes a difference. And remember you can always talk to folks here on ec as well. If you stick around for a while and acquire full membership, you can even use things such as Skype, for example.
    Andy. (*hug*)

4. flyawayfree

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank-you both for your support! It is much appreciated. I will definitely have to check that book out :slight_smile: