1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay therapist

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by titanV, Jan 3, 2015.

1. titanV

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As I was searching for an LGBT-friendly therapist in my area, I came across one who actually might be gay himself. I got excited about the idea of going to someone who can relate to my situation at a much deeper level for obvious reasons. What worries me about choosing him is that even though his summary mentions him focusing on the gay community, he seems to be more concerned with spirituality and hypnosis (well, maybe that's where the money is). Aside from having his masters, he's a certified hypnotherapist. He doesn't have any other certifications that most therapists have eg LCSW or LPC. I know I'm over thinking this because many of those certifications are just state requirements to open a practice, but then again maybe there are good reasons why some people don't have them. I'm basically trying to avoid choosing the wrong person as my therapist for both emotional and financial reasons.

Did anybody have a similar experience when selecting a therapist? In the end, did the professional titles/certifications influence your decision?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he doesn't have an LCSW, LPC, or a masters or doctoral degree in psychology from a regionally accredited school, then if he's offering therapy, he is probably operating outside the scope of his licensure or certification (if he even has any; most people advertising hypnosis and spiritual counseling operate under a religious exemption and aren't licensed.)

There are also an awful lot of crap hypnotherapy "schools" that turn out people who believe they're qualified to use hypnosis, and often these people have a "masters" or even a "Ph.D" degree... but it is usually a substandard degree that doesn't have anywhere near the rigor a real graduate degree does, as it is not from a regionally accredited school. These people are not eligible for licensure as a psychotherapist by their state licensing board. And very, very few hypnosis training programs are actually recognized by ASCH, which is the only legitimate accreditor for hypnosis programs. The ones who are recognized generally won't allow anyone to attend unless they already have a masters or doctoral level psychology degree.

Bad therapy is easily worse than no therapy -- it can really mess you up. And hypnosis by someone who isn't a licensed psychotherapist (and not just a hypnotherapist) can also be really iffy, unless you really know what training they've had.

Additionally, a legitimate, properly trained and licensed therapist that does specialize in hypnosis (there are some) is probably not who you want to see; when you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail, and if you're looking for good therapy, someone who specializes in hypnosis will probably not have the skillset you need.

Here's something that may be helpful: As counterintuitive as it may seem, having a gay therapist really makes very little difference.

When I was in my coming out process (actually, *before* I even fully realized I was gay), I was seeing a wonderful straight female therapist. She had almost no experience working with gay clients, but she nonetheless did an extraordinary job helping me. My current therapist is a "fairy princess" (straight female, with a ton of gay friends) and she, too, is really good at dealing with gay issues. The "understanding at a deeper level" isn't really an issue, believe it or not. What's key is the ability to empathize with your experience and reflect back at you with a different perspective, to help you better process and understand yourself. And, honestly, I've met a number of gay (and straight) therapists who simply suck at that, so simply being gay is far less important than having the skills to deeply connect with you on an emotional and empathic level.

So, in short... this person doesn't sound, from your brief description, like he would be the best fit for what you need. If you want to PM me his website or whatever you have, I'll be happy to take a quick look at his credentials and tell you if his training is legit or not.

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What Chip said. If he doesn't have PhD, PsyD, or LPC listed, steer clear. A lot of masters programs do not lead to any kind of licensure (it's state-dependent).

I went to my therapist through my school's counseling program so she was properly licensed. As a student looking to become a clinical psychologist, I would never go to someone who isn't licensed. Certifications are more than just letters behind someone's name.

4. titanV

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you both for your responses. This is really informative, helpful, and frankly, eye opening to a certain degree. It gives me a new perspective what I should be looking in a therapist.

The fact that his only certification involved hypnosis was a bit disconcerting to me, but I just don't know much about this subject to simply disqualify it. Good I asked the question here.

Yeah it does sound counterintuitive, but I'll trust your experience on this, Chip.

Hey good luck with your studies!

Chip, thanks for offering to look at his credentials. I'll PM you the details.