1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm becoming very emotional.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MrWheelz, Jan 3, 2015.

1. MrWheelz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm totally in love with my best friend who is straight. He means the world to me. I can't stop thinking about him. He knows that I have a crush on him but he has no idea how I actually feel. I want to tell him everything but I just don't know if I should. Please help me figure this all out before I go crazy

2. RushfordJr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey there.

That is a really difficult situation and I've been there myself. I feel in love with my straight best friend at school, he knew the same as your friend does that I had a crush on him.

One night we got drunk, I ended up telling him everything I knew. I felt like the most idiotic person in the world. He acted strange with me for weeks, but a while after it we were both partying and getting drunk again. Next thing I know, he was kissing me. Ever since then we "messed around" when we got the chance, but he has never come out as gay.

It was this point then I knew I was no longer in love with him and I was glad I told him in the end.

If he is a good enough friend to you as you are to him, he won't mind how you feel and should completely understand your situation. If not, then he isn't truly the friend you thought he was. On the other hand... you don't have to tell him, but in my opinion, it worked out the best for me, even if it will cause you extreme heartache at the time.

3. Tardis221B

If he is as good of a friend as you say, then talking about it is probably worth it. I had feelings for my straight female best friend, but I never told her. Instead I distanced myself from her and now we aren't as close. And to be honest I still have some feelings for her (even though I deny it even to myself.)

Awkwardness may ensue, but as someone who has a straight guy as her best friend, I can say that if he ever developed feelings for me I would want to know. I'd want to help him move on and find someone who would reciprocate his feelings. Hopefully your friend would do the same.

Tell him or not, the awkwardness will probably still be there, although telling him might be hard, vulnerability isn't easy, and its probably worth it in the long run. For both your mental health and for the friendship.

Best of luck (*hug*)