1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I go?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by LoneWolfRunner, Jan 5, 2015.

1. LoneWolfRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey everyone,

so I've been thinking alot about my current situation (unsure if I am bisexual or Lesbian) and I came to the conclusion that a youth homosexuality social group might be a good way to find out/develop interests. I came out to my teacher and the rest of my close friends about two weeks ago. I've finally turned 15, but I feel so young and unexperienced on the subject and that makes me really nervous and shy (quite atypical). The meeting is like thirty minutes away, therefore I would have to lie to my parents about it (they thing homosexuality is a lack in education) and I might turn around and drive back home in the process (public transportation gives you time to think). Is this even a good idea? Should I go or wait? What if this is just a phase and I'm taking it too seriously? I just always need to know what is going on in my life, so I tend to overthink things. I appreciate any help from all of you! :kiss:

2. Rainbows~Exist

If I was in your position then I'd go. Definitely. Support groups such as these would be great in providing information on the lgbt community. However, if you do decide to go you must be prepared for some questions as I'm sure that after a while your parents would find out...

3. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before answering your question, it's worth commenting on two things you mentioned in your posting.. firstly, your parents ideas about homosexuality being due to a lack of education are very odd, and quite simply, wrong. It's important to say it, just in case any other people reading this forum are so minded to consider the same line of thinking. Education (or lack of) has no bearing on sexual orientation. Second point, it's very unlikely that you are going through a 'phase'. All too often we hear from ill informed adults that our sexuality is just a phase that we will grow out of and it's seldom true.

With all of that in mind I would advise you to consider going along to the social group, if you can. It will give you the opportunity to meet up with like minded people in real life and hopefully make some new friends. If you are a bit shy or anxious about going is there a group leader you could e-mail or call beforehand, so you have someone to welcome you when you arrive?

4. Seige

Going to the GSA atmy school was one of the best decisions Ive ever made. Its not exactly the same situation, but my parents are also terribly unsupportive, and Ive had to go behind their backs to attend the meetings. Ive met loads ofother people who are in a similar situation. Unless the geoup is bad, they wont try to force you to be a certain sexuality. (If they do, then leave.) The people therewill probablybe able to help you discover who you are, and give you the support that you deserve, and that your parents are failing to give. (*hug*)