1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I say to a class of seniors about life after high school?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RemakeJake, Jan 8, 2015.

1. RemakeJake

I was one of a few former students of my English teacher, who I adore, who were asked to come back to high school tomorrow to speak about life after graduation. I don't want to sound like everybody else but I also want them to pay attention and not be bored. I want to mention how I was lazy, depressed, and got bad grades in high school but I'm happier and thriving in college. Not only that, but is it a decent idea to throw in a thinly veiled shoutout to LGBT kids in the room (something like "I was always DIFFERENT")? Also, what are some funny/witty things I can say? Dumb question, but I need to get there attention somehow :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Thanks, guys! (*hug*)

2. Rikudou

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would consider avoiding the idea of linking laziness and depression to happiness later in life. I realize that your point here is that things can get better, but to a person who is yet to reach that level of happiness, they will focus on the similarities at hand, and happiness is not one of them. This can translate into a feeling of uneasiness and lead to further depression. While this will certainly help you connect with the students, it will not be beneficial. Sorry if I am not making myself clear on this. Basically what I am saying is that you should focus on the good side of things and talk about that, keeping the negative side to a minimum, even if in reality this was not the case. There are other ways to show people that it gets better. The LGBT topic does sound like a good idea, again if it is presented in a correct way, meaning it should not be linked to depression.

3. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Keep it all positive. Things are better after high school because _________

I met more friends with similar interests after high school.
    The professors at our college always treated us like adults.

I would certainly bring up LGBT topics, especially the difference you felt in high school, and after.

Don't bring up how bad high school was, most everyone in high school is right there with you anyway.

4. RemakeJake

Thank you both! :slight_smile:

5. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Good luck too... I have severe anxiety when giving speeches or presentations to large groups.

6. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with not posting about being lazy when you were at the school. You have to speak to the crowd and that's just not something they would want to hear. They expect you to inspire them. You need to pay tribute to your English teacher so talk about something he/she did that inspired you. I think the best approach is to do this in three steps: connect, relate, inspire. First, connect with the audience by relating to them as one of them. You can do this but humbling yourself to your role as speaker. Something that says you don't know why they would want a klunk like you to come back and speak, or maybe, just when you thought you got away form the place they call you back in, something like that. Then say something reminiscent about the school. The students will be feeling emotional about leaving and nostalgia from you will resonate well with them. Then relate to their past experiences by bringing up some of your own, making at least one of them in context with the English class and English teacher showing how he/she inspired you. Then it's your turn to be inspiring by talking about your experiences post high school. This would be a good time to bring in the LGBT theme.

7. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Wow, that's really good speech advice for anyone

8. RemakeJake

Awesome advice from everyone. It went extremely well!

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  10. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

great, wouldn't mind hearing more detail.