1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSA Help!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by G8house1, Jan 9, 2015.

1. G8house1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys, First this post might be in the wrong place, sorry! :confused: And second, I could use a hand! :help: So basically I'm trying to set up a GSA type deal in my school. As a school we do lots to support our students in terms of bullying and learning support however when it comes to sexuality, gender and to a further extent even mental health there is none. I want to change this, as someone who would have benifited from a GSA whilst I was coming out I want to be able to provide that support for my fellow students. Involved in this project is the leader of our anti-bullying team and the teacher who is in charge of the sex Ed programme that, this year, has introduced lots of LGBT related subjects and discussions. As far as I know I am one of the only 'out' people in our school however confidentialy students have been asking for something similar to a GSA.

So that's what's happening in my school at the moment which is why I think now is the best time to set one up! My problem comes with how best to do it... I don't want to be too 'we're here and we're queer' about it for fear of scaring away the students who do need support, but don't want to come out. But at the same time don't want to be secretive about it as that sends the wrong message...

Sooo yeah, if you guys could give me ideas, about my predicament, maybe why you would/wouldn't go to a GSA meeting? How best to do it that sort of thing! Any help at all is much appreciated and I will hopefully keep you up to date as we progress! Cheers! (&&&)

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like a great idea.

I would recommend you visit the Stonewall website and share the link with any staff members who are interested or involved: Stonewall

As you may know, Stonewall is the UK's leading charity for LGB people and they are trying to reach out to more schools and colleges to reduce the incidence of homophobia, biphobia and the bullying that goes with it. There is a wealth of information on their website and I'm sure they would welcome any expressions of interest.

Don't forget to raise awareness of Empty Closets too. :thumbsup:

4. Najlen

Maybe advertise as a support group. I'm vice president of my school's GSA, which was established only a few years ago. We get a bunch of people who sign up, but there are usually only 2 or 3 of us at meetings, which makes it really hard to get stuff done. You'll want to find a way to keep people coming. I would advise you on the best way to do this, but I haven't figured it out yet. Good luck!

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you google for it, there are many ideas...
    discussion topics like relationship issues, watching together movies, making pride accessoires... there are a lot of interesting ideas.

6. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, it's really great of you to want to do this! My partner was a GSA leader for many years and I had the great privilege of meeting some really incredibly GSA people through him. GLSEN | Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network is the best place to go in the US. I'm not sure about England, sorry. One thing I can tell you is, don't worry about scaring people off. Anyone who would be scared off is already scared off. Most of the time GSA groups are really, really small so prepare yourself to do almost all of the work yourself. Don't get discouraged that people who come to the meetings won't want to help you do anything. They are just scared. The fact you exists at all will help so many people you will never meet. It's just like this blog, they will read everything your group does and will secretly follow you and be inspired by you. So always remember that you are helping way more people than you realize. Good luck, definitely do this!