1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't stop chewing on shirt collars (PICA/autism)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by PeculiarChild, Jan 12, 2015.

1. PeculiarChild

I've chewed on everything since I first could. From Barbies to the bars on my crib to the pacifier to my clothes and my backpack. I've mainly constricted to pens, markers, and plastic forks/spoons, though I slip up from time to time.

One thing I slip up a lot on is shirt collars. I've been chewing on shirt collars since I had teeth. My parents would put red pepper, vinegar, etc. on them, followed by just accepting I was always going to have ratty clothes and only gave me hand-me-downs. I've been trying to break the habit for about four years (I'm fourteen), since I spent much of my childhood in isolation for being the freak that chews on clothes.

I suspect I have PICA (a disorder where someone eats non-food substances compulsively), linked to my ASD (autism spectrum disorder). I've been tested seven or eight times, with conflicting diagnoses and lack of them, but I personally believe I have Asperger's due to the nature of my language development.

Does anyone else have this problem and know how to get rid of it?

#1 PeculiarChild, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well there might be an underlying cause to do it... a need...

what do you feel fulfilled by doing that ?
    Do you feel less nervous ? Just an example... -> you might try to identify that need and have it fulfilled by other means.
    What would make you less nervous, to stick with the exampe ? A hug twice a day by your parents ? A few minutes a day to talk with your parents, where they hear you out and you can tell them what moves you ? ... etc...

Do you have a kind of therapist who would help with that ?

(*hug*)

3. PeculiarChild

I've never been to a therapist and I'm not sure if I can. I have social anxiety that really affects me when talking to strangers. Also, if I could talk to them, they might be anti-transgender. I can't exactly tell my mom, but I'd have to tell that sort of thing to a therapist if I wanted any help at all.

It's less of a psychological thing and more of a physical thing, anyhow. I get tension in my jaw when I really want to chew on things. I don't really like hugs; they make me intensely uncomfortable.

4. TheStormInside

Sometimes PICA can be caused by a deficiency in your diet.. have you been to a doctor and discussed this with them?

It could also be linked to your ASD, like you said, possibly a self-stimulation behavior. Have you tried redirecting it in more socially acceptable ways? Perhaps you could try chewing gum? Or maybe even a teething toy or something along those lines could help you get the feeling you're craving without destroying your shirts and your teeth?

5. lostboy94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
  6. banana1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If you want to quit a habit you have to motivate yourself and you have to want it...

Everytime you want to chew reward yourself with a sugar free chewing gum :wink:

How about that?

7. Rosie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to chew on the elastic strings in hoodies, and I still do when I'm nervous. As others have said, try chewing gum. If that's not possible, perhaps finding something to fiddle with (magnets, laces (not in your shoes), a stress ball, etc.) might help