1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lonely and looking for support

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ladyluck166, Jan 12, 2015.

1. ladyluck166

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and just looking for a safe supportive place to talk to people. I'm 24 and my girlfriend is currently in basic training for the military. It's only the first couple weeks but I am really feeling the separation. She's my everything and this is hard. I find I don't have any gay friends in this area, not that my straight friends aren't supportive but I feel like there's just some things they just can't understand. Has anyone else had to do the long distance thing? If so, anything to help?

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. Lazuri

I started a long distance relationship when I was 16 and moved in with her at age 21, so yeah, I dare say I know a thing or two about long distance.

It's hard but there's not a whole lot to do other than to talk to her every chance you get to make you feel less lonely. It also helps to talk and hang out with others frequently as long as it's, obviously, not of a romantic nature.

Let me tell you though, when you do get to see her again, it's one of the best emotions you can feel.

4. tacgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey there!
    Jay is right; be careful with the letters. Idk what branch she's in, but when I was in basic they chose people randomly to read letters aloud. Always keep in mind how it would look if someone else read them. No pics! DADT has been repealed, and most of the people coming in are pretty accepting, but the people running basic have been there for a while. It's hard enough without drawing attention to yourself!
    I don't have a ton of LDR experience (dealing with my own situation right now), but I've been active in the military for the past 6 years, so I can definitely help you out with that side of things. I'm an open book, so feel free to hmu if you need some info. I've been through the LDR with a lot of my friends in the military; one just got married by double proxy so she and her husband could be stationed together. She's in SE Asia and he's in the US. Feel free to message me, and I'll do my best to answer any questions you might have.