1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

am i wrong to feel like this?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by yoda, Jan 17, 2015.

1. yoda

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i'm not doing too well in life, so i have have read about people who turned their life around, like i'd like to, but instead of feeling inspired, i feel jealous because a lot of people who go through hardships, then magically turn their life around at some point, get a dream job and thousands of friends. i've worked hard in life and got nowhere. why are other people so different and lucky?
    why does this never happen to me? or other people i know?

2. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anyone who says their life turned around magically in a heartbeat is obviously lying. Things take time unless you want to have them unpolished or fake.
    But the first step is to reevaluate how you look at life, what you enjoy and extend the idea.

3. yoda

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    yeah, that's true. what i'm referring to most, i guess, is when someone on the internet posts about what hardships they went through, but now they have it so good. they usually end their story thhat they now have a great job and loads of friends. it annoys me as i dont have either i guess.

4. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The main thing to remember about those stories:
    It always happens to the people it happens to, at the time it does.
    or
    It always works for the people it always works for. :wink:

People sometimes think that whatever steps they took to succeed in something is a failsafe recipe for everyone else. Lack of success is then indirectly blamed on the ones who don't follow the recipe. Shortsighted thinking which usually skims over most of the history and circumstances leading to an individual's success, and ignoring the fact most people's history and circumstances are not exactly the same, making that recipe not apply to everyone.

However, it's a good way to write best-selling self-help/inspirational/motivational books and go on world conference tours :wink:. (Not to dismiss the authors who don't fall in that category).

I believe we can't schedule/prepare/orchestrate every part of our lives, but the best we can do is work on being prepared to act on opportunities when then present themselves. Along the lines of "Chance favors the prepared mind" (Louis Pasteur).