1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jealousy, game addiction, and the pain of letting go

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Vesper, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Vesper

I'd been playing a mobile RPG for nearly seven months straight, and some very poor luck in recent days resulted in me quitting it out of extreme jealousy and feelings of inferiority. For those unfamiliar with it, it's a game in which you collect premium currency to pull rare units from a gacha system, and it occasionally holds these special events in which certain units have a greater chance to be pulled. In the latest event, I did nearly 20 pulls and depleted my entire hoard of Gems without getting the unit I so desperately wanted, but many of the other players in the forums I frequented did pull her, and many of them got her in much fewer than 20 pulls. And I'd been unable to clear some of the difficult content, and seeing so many others easily clearing what I'd been unable to just heightened my sense of inadequacy.

In addition to all that, I'd also been losing copious amounts of sleep from constantly thinking about the game, and I'd gotten into more trouble at work than I care to admit because I couldn't stop playing it at my cube. I'd even made excuses at times to get out of social events because I'd rather play it than hang out with friends. I feel I have made the right decision for my own well-being by quitting it.

Still, however, I am grieving over this decision...I've actually been on the verge of crying for many hours. As much stress and emotional turmoil as it has caused me lately, the game was my main source of joy for many, many months during the doldrums that was (and still is) my real life. The gaming communities I have joined were friendly and engaging, and I definitely will miss my fellow players sorely. In fact, when I posted about giving my account away, many players responded with shock about my rash decision and voiced their disappointment at seeing me go. This definitely didn't help the grieving process.

Have any of you been in a similar situation? How'd you deal with it?