1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sick of heteronormativity

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by PositivelyMe, Jan 24, 2015.

1. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people
    Today I went to visit a couple of friends at college. I'm interested in changing my major to education, but one of them said I should change to social work; I said I would love to do that, but the pay is far too low to support the family I want to have. She said that a God willing, I would have a husband.

Maybe it's just because I'm feeling hella gay tonight, but that really got me. Would these too still be my friends if I was out to them? Would they still want to hang out and be my friend? Would the majority of my friends?

I don't know. Sometimes I just wish I was straight so I wouldn't have to deal with this uncertainty and anxiety

2. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Interestingly enough, what I found most insulting from that remark was not the heteronormativity of it (although I understand why it disturbed you) but rather how casually she implied that you don't really need to worry your pretty head with finances, that's why God gave us men! And pre-established gender roles! As long as you have a man at your side to take care of you, you will be fine sweetie.

That kind of offhand sexism is the one that infuriates me the most. She just takes it for granted! Passively accepts it and happily disseminates it. I don't like your friend ಠ_ಠ

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

"If you're fine with just one person, in a relationship, making decent money, by all means, enjoy your mediocre life. Me, however, I'd like two decent money-makers, thank you."

Or something to that effect, I'd say to her.

Nothing wrong with wanting to do better for yourself. Trust me, anybody who associates with you, will appreciate it, especially a loving partner. Who doesn't like two people kicking life's ass, under one roof?

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know other people's microaggressions can really get us down.

But I hope you can get to a place like I did, where I positively love being queer. I wouldn't trade it for anything, and I feel blessed by it.

I tend to surround myself with people who feel the exact same way.