1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What makes you happy?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by thoughtbubble, Jan 25, 2015.

1. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello everyone.
    Recently I have been depressed. This is very unlike me. I am an optimist, I am usually happy 90% of the time. Recently this has changed. I feel like crying almost every day (for no reason), sluggish and just down. I have been thinking well what makes me happy...the only thing I could think of is being with my family. So I have spent more time with them but when I am with my mom, we just do errands . When I am with my brother (13 years old) we just argue 50% of the time. So this has not made me happy. I no longer know what makes me happy.
    I never had to worry about this, I did not have time to think about it. work and school kept me busy. If I think about it, my life is great right now. I have finished all my college classes and will be graduating this may. I am currently student teaching at a great middle school. The only bad thing is that I feel I am under a microscope at all times. I now have more time to myself yet I never seem to have time to do something productive.
    Right now all I can think about is my desire to travel. I just want to pack up and leave to Europe right now. I keep telling myself I will do it this summer but I doubt that will happen. (I have the money, I just don't want to go alone).
    So to conclude, have you ever felt like this? What should I do to get out of this rut?
    What makes you happy?
    Thanks for your replies.

2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dog makes me happy. ^^ Animals can be very healing. :slight_smile:

3. Yosia

Doing things I enjoy, such as seeing my friends and watching anime or even just having some thinking time, as long as the thinking is good not bad. ^.^

4. IwillBeStrong

Check this video out: It NEVER fails to cheer me up :slight_smile:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXmyvk2LBIE

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2015 at 03:22 PM ----------

About the travelling part! Thats so good that you have the means to travel. Its really a great opportunity to travel alone! Please check these links which explain explicitly why travelling alone is one of the best things you could ever do:
    9 Reasons Why You Should Travel Alone
    Why You Should Travel Solo At Least Once*|*Jaimee Ratliff
    7 Reasons Why You Should Travel Alone At Least Once In Your Life | Thought Catalog

5. kai397

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    when im able to express my full self and not have to hide parts about myself

6. TheDapperCorvid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Playing video games with friends, listening to good music, looking at beautiful scenery, many things. Especially the music bit... When I'm in a low mood, I play good, happy tunes to lift my spirits ("Mr. Blue Sky" by Electric Light Orchestra is a go-to for me), or I just go play my piano and vent my feelings.

7. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you all :slight_smile: I feel much better now.
    PS. Thanks for the links IwillBeStrong; I am now actually considering traveling alone :slight_smile:.

8. iiimee

Helping others makes me happy... Also, reading and writing. I go insane if I don't write things down occansionally... Writing helps my thoughts leak out, like water being poured out of my head. Writing down thoughts lets me not worry about those thoughts for a while... 'til more thoughts rush in. o.o

9. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, yes they do. Something about dogs that calm my mind. When I'm having a bad day, a spontaneous jump from my dog will instantly lighten my mood, because the dog is happy to see me.

Showering makes me happy too. I enjoy hot baths very much. Eating makes me happy too, as well as exercising, and hanging out with friends.

But I get it, in the state of depression it's hard to do anything at all, I've been there. You just don't want to do anything. For me, medication helped. And hanging out with my friends helped as well. They sort of force you to engage in the conversations, so it's easier to get unhappy thoughts out of your mind.

10. Mystic flower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Listening to my music makes me happy, especially when I sing my little heart out in my truck. Writing poetry is something I am getting back to, and that does help get my feelings out and I am able to let an anxiety attack pass a bit faster.

11. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being in love. (which I am not... well, I'm infatuated.) And when my parents don't fight. (And they are fighting again. I'm sick of this. I just wanna go tell the "STFU!"") And cats. I love cats.

12. stylesgirl

Listening to music, a nice hot shower, ice cream, clothes right out the dryer, spending time with family, buying that thing that you really wanted, doing nice things for other people, pizza, etc! :slight_smile: