1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for Supporting Others

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kayteebee, Jan 27, 2015.

1. kayteebee

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey Guys,

I love this community because it has helped me a lot in the quite recent past. And now I want to help others in the real world.
    I joined the LGBTQA+ Group in my university and I was voted onto the executive panel for the group.
    While the organisation is great I feel like more could be done to help support members emotionally. Especially members who are questioning or going through a tough time whether it's RE coming out or homophobia or just accepting themselves.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me on creating a more supportive environment in the group so that people who are questioning their sexuality or gender identity feel more comfortable/ can get advice or support. I just feel the group is mostly made up of out gay people and it's all social (which is cool too).
    I know personally that university can be the first time that some people get the chance to explore their own identity and I want to help as best I can.

Thanks a million guys,

- K

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe specific meetings for new people? Or even, just a designated "host" who would make sure to greet anyone new and introduce them around a bit.

On the other hand, I think some people who are questioning would prefer to stay in the background on their first meeting, so maybe the host thing should be optional?

4. kayteebee

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm definitely gonna point them here. My experiences with this forum are probably the only reason I'm so okay with my sexuality right now. I read through that thread and it's brilliant. I'm definitely going to pull some quotes from that. Thank you so much!!

---------- Post added 28th Jan 2015 at 04:54 PM ----------

I have to agree about the wanting to stay in the background thing. I guess I'm just afraid that there are people who don't come because they're too shy or nervous or don't feel comfortable about it.
    I just hate to think that there are people out there struggling with their sexuality like I was and they feel they don't have anyone to talk to.
    I might try to assert myself as that particular person. Just maybe mention that I'm here if anyone needs to talk or anything.

Thanks for your reply! :slight_smile:

5. m e l v i n

i agree with them :slight_smile: i would also like to suggest, involve straight people with your group :slight_smile: it wouldn't hurt asking help from some friendly straight people, asking them to join in some of your activities and group discussions, talk with the members personally, etc.. :slight_smile: i agree with you that "there are people who don't come because they're too shy or nervous or don't feel comfortable about it", i think you can create a more "supportive environment" if they wouldn't think of the LGBTQA+ as an isolated group of people.. they should feel like they are no different from other youths.. trust me, some LGBTQ youths just want to feel that sense of belongingness :wink: they just want to feel acceptance from their friends, specially their straight friends.. they want to feel that it would all be the same, they would still be loved and it's all ok to be part of the LGBTQ community.. after all, Equality is one of the LGBTQ's advocacies right? :slight_smile: i believe it wouldn't really be hard to find straight people to help with your group :slight_smile: i'm wishing you and your LGBTQA+ group the best of luck :slight_smile: keep inspiring people (&&&)

:thewave:

6. sweetfemme90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The social aspect is very important because it helps build our friendships with the people in the group. When we have people we know we can trust it is easier to contact people when we need help.

When I ran a campus group we often had guest speakers come in. We had a local helpline come in and talk about mental health and suicide. We had a counseling student come in as well and had a wonderful discussion on mental health and some discussed their personal difficulties. Watching a documentary and having a discussion helps, a lot of the transgender/gender fluid people enjoyed this especially because it broke the silence and created dialogue among all of us. We also would have nights where we honed in on a topic to learn more about an identity, the challenges, how to cope, and what other people can do to help. Broad topics such as 'being queer in your hometown' was successful because everyone was able to contribute to the conversation if they wished.

Other things we have done is partner up with other clubs (eg. film society, women's centre, game club) to reach out and do an activity that surrounded both of our interests. We talked to people in high schools and even had some high school students start coming to our meetings. You could also try volunteering as a group to somewhere in your town to reach out to others. Doing presentations to staff, faculty, and students work great as well (such as how to be an ally). Find out what the people in your group need and go after it.