1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have no purpose in life

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Edmund, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Edmund

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have no purpose in life. I have no idea what my life purpose should be. It makes me depressed. I have no interest in anything. I have some hobbies but it is not enough - i can't fill my life only with my hobbies. When i look around i feel horror because there is no aim. I'm
    scared.
    Advice?

2. Bane

Winnipeg, Canada (aka temporary paradise)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why don't you take some time off for yourself? It might help you see what your purpose is or are. I'm positive it'll come to you.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It may help you to get a little clearer about what a "purpose" is.

Having a purpose implies having some grand Goal (with a capital G), the problem with that is two-fold: you succeed in achieving it, then what? Or you fail, and then feel like a failure for the rest of your life...

The journey is far more important (and interesting) than the goal. It requires openness to experience, seeing what is going on around you, and keeping an open mind to all the possibilities that life has to offer. It requires silence, being stuck for a while (this is NOT a bad thing), actually, being stuck is a much sought-after state in Zen philosophy, i.e. the cultivation of a "beginner's mind".

Most wisdom traditions will emphasize living in the present, and of living on a path. The best example I can give is what being a writer is like: long hours spent alone with the (small g) goal of completing a manuscript. But there is something in the process, especially when the words flow (and even when they don't). This is the major part of what "being a writer" is all about. It is what is happening in the moment, in the NOW that counts for much more than the ultimate purpose...

Let go of the idea of a purpose. What do you gain? Freedom and openness to the wonderful and often positive "happy accidents" that life will send your way.

Here is some food for thought:

http://www.brainpickings.org/2013/11/04/hunter-s-thomspon-letters-of-note-advice/

4. Pine

Pine Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel like this right now I think. Like, I want to paint or draw, but have no desire or idea what to draw. And I don't know what I'm doing with my life. I'm just sitting here, not knowing what to do. I don't have friends, and I've tried online and I'm not succeeding. I don't know if I'm unlikeable or just not a good friend. I feel like I have no answers and I am scared I'll never find them either. The advice people have given me is to force myself to do something, then once I'm doing it I'll be fine. Anyway, I could be totally off, which wouldn't surprise me. So sorry if I was no help. But I feel for you and hope you can find your way.

Actually, what greatwhale said is good and what you should listen to.

#4 Pine, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  5. Edmund

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you very much. I appreciate your wise advices.
    Yes i should
    It is useful and i appreciate your sincerity.

6. Pine

Pine Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    (*hug*)

7. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll find it, and if you can't, it will find you. And do you now what its called?, its called life.

#7 Sepina, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015