1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

True love on the internet?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lostinne, Jan 30, 2015.

1. lostinne

lostinne Guest

A couple of years ago I met someone who I fell deeply in love with. I honestly felt that it was mutual. Due to family issues, I lost contact with him. We suspected it might happen (well, at least I did and mentioned my concerns) and he promised me that he would get in touch no matter what happened. I know that I should let go after all this time. I've tried letting go but it's not working. I've never loved anyone like I've loved him. And sadly, I never told him that I love him. I did tell him that I was crushing on him but never any thing more than that.

Is it possible to find your true love (soulmate???) on the internet?? And how do I get him back. I would wait for him until my dying day.

2. Pine

Pine Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know. Some people find it. Some people don't. Good luck to you.

3. m e l v i n

it's possible :slight_smile: not for everyone though.. i'm hearing a lot of success stories .. but you must be careful because what happens online might be different in real life.. might give you false hopes.. and it's harder if you're too far away from each other.. if you trust him, why not plan a meet up? :slight_smile: see how it goes in person.. goodluck :thewave:

4. Aro

Aro

There are plenty of people who find love on the Internet. I think there is a certain amount you need to know about the person before-hand, but you don't necessarily have to have met them in person. I ended up dating someone for 5 years and we met on World of Warcraft. I did love him. We only broke up because of financial and family obligations. In short- distance doesn't matter when it comes to the heart. It makes things difficult in terms of relationships, but it doesn't mean that you love them any less than a person that is sitting right next to you.

If you have his contact information, you can try starting things out casually and see how it goes. Reconnecting is always stressful and complicated, so if you do, just take things slow and see where the road leads. Just know that your feelings aren't wrong, it's not stupid, and you definitely can have deep feelings for someone over the Internet.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I hope that your venture is successful, because I know how painful it is to not be able to let someone go for a very long time.

5. lostinne

lostinne Guest

Thank you all for your advice and support.

It's a really complicated situation. Sadly, the only contact info i have for him is a couple of years old. His mom freaked out and took all of his online accounts away. :'(

6. Aro

Aro

That's too bad to hear. You can always try that regardless. But if nothing comes of it, then I truly hope that you can find a place where you are comfortable letting him and your feelings for him go. I know it's very complicated and that is one of the hardest things to do. I wish you luck.

7. lostinne

lostinne Guest

Thank you for your kind words, Aro.

I've been sitting here thinking of what I would say to him at this point. Like I said, it's been two years since we've talked. A lot has probably changed.

8. Aro

Aro

You're welcome. c:

Things always change. But people stay the same, mostly. In some regards. You could try just saying something simple like 'it's ____ from ____, I know it's been a long time, but-' and just go from there. There's no easy way to get back into the swing of things. Say whatever you are comfortable with at the time.

Completely random, but I also love your avatar. Butters is the best. I am a huge South Park fan. XP

9. lostinne

lostinne Guest

lol....i love south park...but i was too lazy to upload one and just used one of the ec ones.

Thanks again, Aro.

BTW....ive sort of made contact...and am now thinking i made a huge mistake.

10. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why are you thinking it's a huge mistake?

Regardless: I do think it is possible to find love on the internet... but I don't believe there is such a thing as a "one true love". there's multiple people who can fit the bill, and you might run into one of those people anywhere.

Also, the internet does tend to warp perspectives. You usually only talk to each other when you're both fairly relaxed (or at least have the time to type or have a phone call, so you're missing a lot of what the other person is like. I'm not against finding people on the internet (I've met a lot of wonderful people on there, including my BF), but I'd caution against coming to conclusions without being around the actual person for some time.

11. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

Entirely possible. AS for getting him back, I don't know. If he's on social networking sites, you may find him again.

12. Aro

Aro

I didn't look through the basic ones. I almost uploaded one of my own, but settled on my ferret instead.

You're welcome, but what has happened? Why do you think it was a mistake?

13. lostinne

lostinne Guest

Long story....but I know in my heart it was a mistake. He moved on....I didn't. I realize now that I needed closure....to tell him how much I loved him....and I missed him....and to say good bye.

Anyways, thanks Aro....and everyone else....for your help.

---------- Post added 3rd Feb 2015 at 11:42 PM ----------

Awesome choice....I had a couple ferrets a few years ago....James and Lily. Yes, I'm a huge HP fan also. LOL!!!!

14. Aro

Aro

It is better to know than to wonder for the rest of your days. It hurts now, but at least you have some closure. I am sorry that things turned out this way. Hopefully it will make it easier for you to move on now. You don't have to cling to a maybe. I am glad that you got a chance to talk to him even if the result was not what you had hoped for. I don't think it was a mistake at all, and while I don't really know you, I am proud of you for taking that step regardless of the outcome.

You're welcome. Free to talk to me any time if you want. I hope that you can find happiness and that the pain of this endeavor fades soon.

I am a fan of Harry Potter myself. c: I love clever ferret names.

15. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's VERY possible. I know this because it happened to me. And I got hurt badly the first time. I'm trying it again now and my feelings for her are growing. She's already making plans to come see me soon. It doesn't take someone being near you to fall in love. Hearing their voice, seeing their words, and planning a future together can make you fall hard for someone. It's not the same for everyone, but it is possible.

16. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am really leery about online dating. I've met too many people in non-dating situations that come across very differently online than they do in person. I really think I will need a real life meeting to get a girlfriend.

17. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say yes. I actually had a similar situation to yours accept I didn't tell the girl I had a crush on her. I met her when I was younger on a website and we would talk for hours every day in the summer then stop talking during the year because of school. About two years ago we started talking again and this march will be our one year anniversary. I'll be honest if you think that person is the one you are meant to be with I would go for it.