1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I tell them

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by InTheCloset16, Jan 30, 2015.

1. InTheCloset16

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Recently I've started hanging out with and talking more to my female friends and not as much my guy friends, they're all starting to think something's up and I don't want them to just figure it out without me telling them, I'm just really scared because I'm smack in the middle of a highly republican, Christian, and homophobic town

2. Batmanishere

Hey, don't worry about it. In this day and age there will always be accepting people around, even if you live in a super conservative town. I came out at my school, full of fricking homophobic kids, and honestly i have received zero hate about it. Although some don't necessarily understand, or "approve" they will rarely actually make a fuss about it.

Coming out is fabulous, it just makes life at least a little easier. It'll be fine.

Keep us updated.

3. InTheCloset16

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's just really scary especially in my school, a lot of people make fun of gays and say that they hate everyone that is gay

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2015 at 08:07 PM ----------

And this is why I know no one that is openly gay that I could talk to

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep in mind that a lot of the negative comments you hear, not just about gays but about anything, are borne of ignorance. People fear that which they're unfamiliar with. So it's quite likely that people at your school (and, perhaps, their parents) make those comments because they've never met someone who they knew was gay.

What seems to happen overwhelmingly is that when people actually meet a gay guy who is gay, and "normal" (not showing up to school wearing pumps and a sequined party dress)... they realize there isn't much to be afraid of. And when it's someone they've already known, almost always, the perception they already have of you overshadows their preconceived perception of what "a gay guy" is like.

Even in the most rural parts of Virginia (I grew up there...) there are a surprising number of gay people and a pretty surprising level of openness and acceptance. It has definitely changed in the past 5 or 10 years.

5. InTheCloset16

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah I guess you right, I wouldn't show up in something like that to school, I can't pull it off

6. InTheCloset16

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That wasn't a great joke

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2015 at 09:23 PM ----------

I guess I should maybe just tell someone and see how they react

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2015 at 09:24 PM ----------

If that goes okay I guess I could start coming out to more people