1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Voice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sh1f73r, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Sh1f73r

I'm pretty sure you have heard of the "gay voice". I have have always sounded straight, but I am starting to have a bit of that "voice", I've been hiding it lately. I'm just a bit embarrassed to talk like myself(i sound straight, but I talk pretty awkward in a 100% straight voice). I feel "good" when talking with a slight "gay voice" but I always worry what people would judge. Should I change my voice?

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

sounds like it would be stressful and tiring to be putting on a macho voice all the time. plus the fact that a fake voice might start sounding more gay than just being yourself. don't worry about it. be yourself. your real voice is your best voice! (*hug*)

3. hat123

I myself have my share of insecurities about my voice (it's very high sounding) but I learn that as long as you are confident with it, it's gonna be okay. Don't change your voice just because you are scared to be judged. Basically, be you, don't be someone people wants you to be.

4. Nord

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It probably just your head if anything. I mean I sometimes would pf gottennself-conscious about if my voice was "gay-sounding." The interesting thing though is when I came out to one of my friends and she was like "I KNEW IT!" and then the first thing I threw back was "Its my voice huh?" but she was like nope your voice is normal just some of your mannerisms :icon_wink

Point is, don't worry about! It probably isn't the case but even if it is so, its just another one of the many things that make you, well you :slight_smile:

5. ZestyLion

I would keep your voice however it is. Don't be ashamed! Personally, I don't want a deeper voice. But either way, I'm going to let it happen however it is meant to be.

6. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My "gay" shows up when I'm excited and socializing with the people I love best. It so happens that my voice sounds "whiter" too probably since I have an accent which I hate and I've been using a vocal fry.
    Other people are surprised sometimes when I use my deep voice because if they don't know me, their very surprised. They always say they expected a buff, muscular jock or whatever. I'm thinner and athletic, but not too buff. My voice gets very deep that people find it hard to hear when it gets super low.

7. Justinian20

I don't personally have a gay voice, but I would say accept your "gay" voice. It's almost like your personality, your voice is a reflection of who you are, no matter how high pitched or feminine it may sound.

Actually I personally hate my voice a lot. I sound like I'm disabled and I don't want to sound like that.

#7 Justinian20, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  8. Zombi3

No, I talk like that too, I don't think people care. Besides you come off as a nicer person in my opinion.

9. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people have "the voice" even though they are not gay. I went to school with the guy... (I thought he was cute) but he stood up in front of the whole as all of the students were introducing themselves and said aloud, "Hello, my name is [insert name here]. I like to draw and listen to music. I want to be a graphic designer. And one more thing... just because i sound like this doesn't mean I am homosexual." He was the only one to speak up and tell people how it really is. And the girls just loved how feminine he sounded. He dated all of them.

Because of that little happening, my gaydar totally broke. I don't rely on the voice, or looks, or dress, or interests to figure out who is gay and who isn't. Guess I will never know until it's completely obvious.

In my experience, my voice didn't drop until I was 18 or 19. I still somewhat sound somewhat like a kid. Some people mistake it for being gay. Well, I am... but no my voice has nothing to do with it. It's always been like that.

10. carlyledylan

Seriously, it's incredibly likely that you don't "sound" gay at all and that you're just paranoid about being able to judge your sexual orientation by your voice. Are you out? Because if you're out, just be yourself and don't worry about it. If not, talk normally but just be conscious of it. Don't force yourself to talk in a way that's uncomfortable. Plus, not all people with a "gay" voice are actually homosexual.