1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Military Advice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lovehurts, Feb 2, 2015.

1. lovehurts

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm 18, female, a junior in high school and I have begun thinking and talking to my girlfriend about joining the Air Force. First I want to explain why I want to join: Ive always believed that those strong enough should defend those not strong enough to defend themselves, the benefits are good, I want to someday become a lawyer and understand the Air Force can help me pay for college. That being said, and I would appreciate advice from those who have either served or are serving, what is life in the military like? I live in Colorado but my girlfriend will be going to school in Nebraska so could I get stationed on a base in Omaha? Will I be able to see my girlfriend? If so how often? How long would I serve before being able to earn a degree? After I earn my degree and go to law school will the military pay for that also? I'm sorry I have so many questions, I plan on speaking to a recruiter but I would love to hear some advice from someone who understands my situation of being in a relationship with a girl. Thank you so much!

2. stimpacks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello, I was in the Marine Corps about 4 years ago. Its a lot different now regarding same sex partners, in a good way. Any branch of the military will pay for school, G.I. Bill but I think you have to serve like 180 days first, or something like that. Life in the military after boot camp is like a regular life. You work, you get off and do whatever. For me it was a lot about drinking and doing stupid shit, I had a lot of fun. For being stationed in Omaha, its up to the military to decide where you end up. Sometimes depending on what your job is. Before I graduated my MOS school, the top student got to pick where he/she wanted to go but still we only had 5 different locations to choose from. Yes can visit your girlfriend depending on where she lived, you would have to put in a leave request. Every month you get like 1.5 day of leave (don't quote me on that), which is basically a paid vacation. Or she can come visit you on or off base. You can attend school while on active duty after you get done with your basic training and job training, I did it online but it was tough with work and everything, especially during deployments. After you get out of the military, they will still pay for your tuition fees. Yea your best bet would be to talk to a recruiter. Good luck with everything.

---------- Post added 2nd Feb 2015 at 10:57 AM ----------

Boot camp isn't as hard as most people think it is. Its more mental than physical but once you get used to it, its not so bad.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never served, but I wanted to join the AF so bad (got disqualified though). You're lucky! It seems like a marvelous and fulfilling opportunity.

Your MOS (job category) will probably make the biggest difference of how your life goes within the service, so do try to get something you don't absolutely hate. I can't immediately think of anything other than foreign deployments that mean you won't get to see your gf at all; any stateside assignments shouldn't be too limiting. But other than that, like stuckonisland said, every account I've heard of basic training is not the torture fest Full Metal Jacket made it out to be. Just keep your resolve and you'll do great.

4. lovehurts

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Would they pay if I were to attended law school after earning a degree?