1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on moving from small town to bigger city? (Any Temple U alumni?)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DawnM, Feb 4, 2015.

1. DawnM

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I'm from a small town. Not in the sense that it's magically a haven from the cruelty of the world, but there's just not as many people. Our crime rate really isn't the best all the same (lots of drug/gang issues), and I know the parts of town that you don't walk at night, or don't walk at all.

The thing is, I grew up outside of town. I passed a field of cattle and corn fields on my way to school every day. Now I live further in town, but I'm looking to switch schools, and my main pick is Temple University in Philadelphia.

I'm just worrying myself some on how I'll handle the difference in atmosphere if I'm accepted there. I'd really love any advice from people who've lived in the area or who've had a similar move, but of course I'll be happy for any advice in general.

So, y'know. Here's to hoping I get in! (!)

2. dreamcatcher

Hey I actually went to Temple for 2 years (Go Owls!) I think you'll like it there. Temple is super gay friendly, in fact, my friends used to joke that most of the guys there were either gay or artists because there are just so many queer people! I didn't live in a small town so going there wasn't as big of a shock for me but here are some tips.

Although Temple is definitely in the "hood", for the most part, it's quite safe. I never felt unsafe walking around campus because there are a lot of police poles and police cars are almost everywhere. I walked around 2 am in the morning alone and I always felt safe. However, if you go off campus, NEVER walk alone! Do not go north of susquehanna street alone because that area is super dangerous. in fact, anywhere going up north of Temple is dangerous and I would suggest never going there.

There's a lot of people, it's super noisy outside, and you'll have to rely on the subway and bus system to get around so that will take some getting used to. People are quite friendly but since it's a big school, you will have to put yourself out there and join different clubs and do different social events to make some new friends. Class sizes are also huge, sometimes you'll have 200 people in your lecture halls. But once you get into your major, classes are much smaller. For the most part, I really liked my professors and my classes were pretty interesting.

People at Temple are quite liberal so if you are more of a liberal person, you will fit in there quite nicely. Of course they do have some conservative people, but I feel that it is not as common. I'm not sure what kind of information you're look for so if you want to know anything else, feel free to message me.