1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this how depression feels like?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by SunsetLullaby, Feb 9, 2015.

1. SunsetLullaby

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    For the past 6 years, I've found myself constantly shutting down in almost every situation that I want to avoid, especially when it comes to social interaction. I've took tests and self-diagnosed for having social-phobia, I can pretend that I'm completely okay about it but doing that for a long duration will lead me into emotional shutdown.
    Even as an introvert this is way beyond "shy", I'd find ways to avoid having ANY kind of social interaction. I can only think clearly, feel and be myself when I'm alone.
    Every time when I convinced myself that I'll be alright, it turns to be the other way around because I'm afraid that I'll disappoint others. Saying that I've given up is probably an understatement.
    Up until now, I've managed to still hold on and pushed myself into learning stuff (event management & violin lesson) as well as taking it as a self-medication that I should've done 2-3 years ago because I realized that If I continue to stay in my comfort zone, time will not stop for me and I need to prepare myself for days to come.
    Knowing that I won't be able to fully express myself and be out to my family about my "problems", this is the best I could do so that my parents need not to worry about me. Thing is, I can no longer tell whether if I'm doing it right, do drop me some advice... Also thanks for reading (;

2. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can relate to some of what you said. I also am an introvert, and I'm not comfortable being around others. I do crave companionship, but not with strangers. I would be more at home playing videogames by myself than say, in a party or something. I think I am also depressed. Most of my time is spent by myself, and while personal reflection and thought can be very helpful and bring clarity, it can also make matters worse if you are depressed.

Probably the most important thing is to try to be around other people as much as possible. If you live with your family, spend time with them rather than be alone. Maybe get a little exercise and eat healtheir. Hope this helps. Hang in there dude :slight_smile:

3. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

I can totally relate. I'm avoiding most of the scary situations, and try to stay in my comfort zone, but there are days when I'm more confident, and don't really give a damn about what others might think about me. I believe this is one of the keys to defeating social phobia, to NOT give a fuck about other people's opinions. I'm trying to achieve the mindset of being proud of myself, being comfortable with who I am, but I still have to work on that. It's not an easy task.

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

It does sound like depression could be a factor. It would be good to discuss this with a medical professional, and tell them everything you've told us. Sometimes it's just too much for us to handle by ourselves.