1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asking out straight guys?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Rainbows~Exist, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Rainbows~Exist

So as you may know, it's Valentine's day tomorrow. That awful day that just reminds me I'm alone. Anyway... whilst on YouTube I saw this video in which a lesbian asks random straight women on a date as a social experiment. To my surprise many said yes and that got me to think: what would happen if I asked a straight guy out? Would they be mean about it? Would they laugh in my face? Or would they just say "fuck it" and go on a date with a gay guy? I have a person in mind who I'd like to ask (Not like a serious date, just some fun... not that kind of fun :wink: ) and I don't think he'd be really mean about it... I just don't know. Over the past few days I've been feeling more... courageous. I'd really like to ask him out for a date but I'm not sure how it would go. What do you think? Is it weird, strange or completely unacceptable? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you :slight_smile:

2. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would not advise specifically asking him out on a date, but you could always ask him to "hangout" with you.

I think that in general, the heterosexual male population is indescribably more homophobic than the heterosexual female population. I do not think you would get a very favorable response at all. I would actually be fearful for my physical well-being if I attempted such an experiment. Women seem to be generally more open, accepting and willing to try things than men.

That being said, maybe I'm wrong, and I really hope I am. It definitely would make an interestin video at least. If you've ever seen the "10 hours walking as a womaN in NYC" video or whatever it's called, they count the times the lady gets cat-called and sexually harrased. There's a version where they wanted to see if it goes the same for men, and it's a guy and he walks for three hours, and he gets cat-called and stuff too, but it's mostly by men! That was very surprising to me.

3. wolfy1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i agree with Epic above.

let me ask you this: are you prepared to loose him? idk what your relationship status is with him but like epic said above "I think that in general, the heterosexual male population is indescribably more homophobic than the heterosexual female population." and that being said it is possible that he wont want to talk to you anymore... hopefully this wont happen but it is a possibility. on the other side he could say yes. its kind of a toss up, and is completely up to you. personally, if i was prepared to loose him, i would ask him and hope for the best!

a little personal experience story: there was a guy a few months back who i completely adored and could not get out of my had. he seemed to be gay, but i did not really know. long story short, i wanted to ask him out but was too scared to loose him. in the end i lost him and never got to ask. so i never knew, never took the risk and at the end of it all i still lost him. i regret that, although i dont know that i was ready for a relationship especially since im not out.

4. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

I would not call it a date, you guys would be hanging out, having dinner, on a Saturday. Definitely be cautious, and I'd be ready with a comeback like, oh don't worry, I'm not into straight guys, I just don't want to be alone on that day. Laugh it off like no big deal, I'm asking everyone I can think off...

But I'm getting more courageous these days, taking risks I should have taken long ago.

I actually have a gay friend who I invited out to a not-valentines day date this Saturday. We're friends, we've had a lunch date, and we text often. I want to know him better, but we aren't each others Valentines. So, he was happy to say yes, and perfectly understood.

If this guy is a friend or co-worker, just be nice if you ask a "straight" guy out. They may not be as straight as you assume. Like me for instance, in my younger lonelier closeted years, if a cute gay guy asked me out to dinner or something, I'd have been inclined to say yes. But, that's someone who was into guys and gals since 12. You never know.

5. Rainbows~Exist

Thank you all for replying :slight_smile: I'm still contemplating it at the moment but I'm feeling really brave lately... I think I'll regret not asking so I may as well. I've been crushing on this guy for ages what you've said about losing him has opened my eyes a bit. Either:

1: I ask him out and he says yes and we have a great time
    2: He turns out to be gay and we become friends or more (very unlikely. But one can hope...)
    3: He says no and I lose him. That way I'll not have a crush on him anymore.

It's kind of a win win situation if you look at it :slight_smile:

6. cognito

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dr.Rorschach, my advice would be to go for it.
    It took me 7 years to get the courage to tell my best friend that I fancied him & wanted him to be my boyfriend. I wasted those 7 years coz he told me that he wanted nothing more to do with me ever again because of me fancying him.

Life is short.

Just Do It