1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religion..

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by choirsmash, Feb 12, 2015.

1. choirsmash

Religion is becoming a huge issue in my mind right now. I was told not to let religion affect me much but I don't know how to do that. I just feel so wrong, I can't even say gay or bi out loud talking about myself without feeling "dirty". I just don't know what I even believe anymore. I'm catholic and my church youth group is supportive of other lgbt kids, but I still feel like I can't tell them. I don't know if I should talk to a priest or something about it, or just deal with it. Any advice?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Talk to someone.

3. Belle the Bee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My mom, who's my primary parent, is atheist and I had never really given religion much thought so I'm coming from a different angle but about a year or so ago I had a burst of extreme faith. This was around the time I began realizing I was gay and when my dad, who is pretty religious, moved closer to me so I spent more time with him. It was my way of coping with sexual confusion at the time and, although I've kinda backed away now, I think it was a crutial thing for me. I focused my energy some where without suppressing my feelings.

I'm not sure that was significant but I felt like saying it so yeah...

But seriously, if you have support within your church I would definitely reach out. I know thats easier said than done, but if you can, find courage.Who knows, there could be some one in the same shoes as you and you both could really benefit.

4. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think talking to a priest will help. They have alot of insight, and I guarantee that. You will definitely learn something from them. But always remember that what you will hear from them are just their opinion. If what you hear from him is positive, then good and be thankful. But if what you hear from him is negative, be open minded and reflect on it. It is you who knows yourself better than anyone else. :slight_smile: hope this help

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do you think that might be? What is it, that makes you feel wrong or dirty? If you know the answer/s to these questions it may help you to see a way forward.

6. choirsmash

Thanks guys!
    And PatrickUK, I don't really know why at this point. I just can't refer to myself as either of those out loud..it's weird

7. ANewDawn

I come from an extremely religious background but am personally agnostic. I generally reject all religions and their leaders, but if you are religious and are fortunate enough to be part of an institution that supports lgbt kids then I would definitely talk to someone there that could make you feel better about yourself. Professional counseling is also a good option to consider if your feelings persist.

8. PanPrideLgbt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it makes you feel better, I have been down this road. I come from a Catholic family (I am now a Buddhist) and the Church isn't fond of LGBT+ people. I've decided to drop Christianity because of the hypocrisy! Christians are supposed to love all people and yet have homophobic tendencies. I would highly recommend either the UUA (a very welcoming religion) or discovering Buddhism. Both paths are radically accepting and love others! I hope I helped. If I did not, let me know. (&&&)

9. Section18

Section18 Guest

lol at thinking that talking to an individual who is celibate will help resolve any kind of sexual question. Also OP, I wouldn't go talking to Catholic priests alone, we all know their reputation when around young people. No offence to any Catholics, but it's true.

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not helpful or fair.

11. Section18

Section18 Guest

How is it not helpful or fair?

12. choirsmash

It's not like I won't know the priest I'd be talking to. I've talked to him before in private and he gives great advice. I would go to talk about the views of the church, since he would know better than other Christians... Thanks, though

13. arkemdis

arkemdis Guest

I was pretty much like you...I experienced a lot of intense emotions and did not really understand why...and could not decipher them.

I think it is an age thing, and you have this ideal image of life, so you feel so guilty about things that people seem to not talk about often. Look everyone has sexual thoughts of all natures..don't beat your self over it too much.

Explore your thoughts read about the subject, and if you'd like to reach out on the church fine..if you don't feel comfortable that is also fine..just don't beat your self over it you still have time to settle into yourself...trust me everyone told me age would help and I would not believe them - It does. :slight_smile:.

I had struggled with religion for quiet sometime as well...another topic that people don't like to talk about much, the thing is..religions have really good advices..and some questionable stances on life..I think it takes a life time to digest philosophies concerning life..so again..don't be afraid to explore the topic, but don't beat your self that you were not able to resolve it within a day or years lol. Take your time, and reach out for advice but use your own head to decide what you think about it all.

Good luck.